best sounding integrated for under 2500.00

just getting back into audio. want this to be my last purchase. like smooth warm sounding equipment as i listen to alot of metal and rock from the 80s. this can sound harsh on alot of equipment. been researching for months and im getting more confused by the minute. i thought creek destiny or krell 300 might do the trick. any other suggestions. powering psb stratus golds.
vikingnick

Showing 2 responses by mceljo

My local hi fi store gives rave reviews to the Cambridge Audio Azur 840A that retails for about $1,800 and on my last trip to the store I inquired if they still had one in the store since I didn't see it anywhere and the response was that they did. I pointed to the Krell S-300i and told them it was on my dream list and they told me that they liked it even better than the 840A.

I'd try to listen to both of them, but I doubt you could go wrong with the Krell, but the extra $700 might make the 840A a better value.

For reference, the 840A is the only Cambridge Audio product that my local hi fi store keeps in the showroom, they really love this particular model.
"FYI,stores always love the brands they carry and their favorite model is the one the customer is thinking about buying. Just a thought." - Tpreaves

I can't argue this point in general terms, but the salesman knows that I have no plans to upgrade any of my equipment so they have no reason to push this particular product. On the last trip to the store I was actually there with a friend that was looking to purchase.

I've heard them rave about the 840A more than once. If circumstances were different when I upgraded my equipment I would have likely purchased one, but it didn't quite fit into the overall plan.