best sounding integrated for under 2500.00

just getting back into audio. want this to be my last purchase. like smooth warm sounding equipment as i listen to alot of metal and rock from the 80s. this can sound harsh on alot of equipment. been researching for months and im getting more confused by the minute. i thought creek destiny or krell 300 might do the trick. any other suggestions. powering psb stratus golds.
vikingnick

Showing 8 responses by erikminer

The choice will depend on the speakers you have or are getting.. No point in recommending amps that aren't a good match for the speakers you'll use with them.
Rega Elicit, Plinius 9200 ( maybe a bit over your budget but worth it, imo) the Creek Destiny is very good unless it breaks, damhik, ARC Vsi55, Atoll is also a nice piece, but weak resale value I'm afraid.
I don't think there are any actual "dogs" I think there will be better sonic choices for the OP's speakers. If the choice will be solid state I'd stick to something that errors on the musical side rather than the more neutral, PSB's are a nice speaker but with the aluminum dome tweeter I'd be careful with my amp choice. The Plinius 9200 would work well and if the OP isn't going to really crank things up the Rega Elicit is a really musical amp too.
More I think about it a used Plinius 9200 would be a great choice.. Lot's of power, very musical, non-fatiguing can easily drive a 4 ohm load, good phono section, built like a tank. I had one for almost 7 years and it was built proof never an issue and it took me a long time to find something that really was better.. and it was tubes, which wouldn't drive those PSB's you have.
Creek is nice I had one, it blew up.. took MONTHS to get fixed because it's made in China and Creek UK (forget Music Hall) had to wait to get the parts needed from China to fix it.. That's only one data point but I sold it shortly after and replaced it with a Rega Elicit. The Rega won't really drive your PSB's, it's only 80 wpc. Atoll is very nice but no resale value, if that's ok then consider it. The Plinius, and again I had one for almost 7 years and never a hiccup, has got all the power you'll need (200 wpc) and is sonically outstanding, tons of great reviwes and has been a TAS editors choice in it's price range numerous times. Plinius has after almost eight years come out with a replacement for the 9200 (Hautonga) so there are a few good buys on used 9200's, fyi the 9200 really haven't changed much but the later versions did add a balanced input. Seems that 9200's get snapped up pretty quick on the 'Gon so if that's the direction you want to go you'll need to keep your eyes open. Oh and Musical Fidelity, I haven't owned one but they have always gotten good press and are certainly a worthy product.
The Portal is a really nice amp. I has at one time considered one, but for me no remote was a deal breaker. Also and you didn't mention if its important but it also does not have a phono stage.
Yes, Plinius 9200 does come with a pretty darn good phono. The Mac 6300 is nice but maybe a bit underpowered at 100wpc into 8 ohms and 160wpc into 4 ohms. The Mac 6600 would be a stellar choice but is way out of your price range.. Plinius 9200 is 200wpc into 8 ohms and 280 wpc into 4 ohms.. so lot's of grunt for your PSB's. The Sim amps are also really really nice amps not sure if you'll find one with enough grunt in your price range though.
I haven't heard the Cambridge phono. I'd say get the new amp and then compare, sell the Cambridge if it's not as good. As for the Yamaha, it maybe a good sounding amp , in fact I'm sure it's a good sounding amp; is it better than a Plinius .. I'd be very very surprised if it is :-)