Best Rock Album in 2013

Ok folks, let's get another one started. Best yearly thread for us rock fans. Most of the albums are starting to be released.

Have to say, Atoms for Peace doesn't do anything for me despite the "superband" status. Where is Flea on the record?

Lots of potential coming with Phoenix, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, the National, Postal Service, Vampire Weekend, etc.

Not rock (it's indie), but I like Toro y Moi "Anything in Return" so far. Going through the new Depeche Mode currently- pretty up and down effort.
keithr

Showing 5 responses by nglazer

Local Natives -- Hummingbird

Groundbreaking combo of musicianship, lyrics and vocals. The more you listen the more you appreciate. A very deep, rich and satisfying album.

Neal
Phosphoresence - Muchachos Alt country pschedelic rock. Utterly original, melodic and rhythmic, with great vocals. A star is born!

Neal
Yes, Shakey. Thankfully, this is what we have come to. Try listening all the way through a few times. And if you don't like it, it does not mean civiliztion had ground to a halt.

Neal
Loomisjohnson,

As they say: De gustibus non est disputandum.

You either like Phosphorescent or you don't. Personally, I think it is the best album of the year, and the prior album also is outstanding. It sometimes takes a few listens because it is an unusual sound and the viocals are unique -- as are the lyrics.

Neal
Loomisjohnson,

Pssst! (It's Latin.) I know you knew that. It means there is no arguing with taste.

Neal