Best 3 tube preamps under $18000?

I will be pleased to know your opinion, about which can be the 3 best tube preamplifiers, with a price, NEW, under $18.000. I want to use them with SS amplifiers.
emigene

Showing 1 response by dev

I own a REF3 and had a REF5 for demo and as per Kurt_tank posting(Note: The Ref. 3 is very close to the Ref. 5 sonically, and if bought used, it is a bargain, (@ $5K), IMHO.)

I agree with him, I did allot of research and decided to place an order for a VAC Signature MKIIa so this will be interesting.

I also have solid state amplification, mono blocks so when I was doing research a couple of areas were important to me;

1. True balance design
2. RCA and XLR connection, in my current set-up I use all XLR cables so the pce had to offer XLR outputs and inputs.

What are your IC connections?

There are some great choices above but because of my basic requirements many were eliminated, the Einstein MKII interested me but after more research just too many tubes, runs too hot and I personally don't have an appropriate spot for it.

What's the rest of your set-up, are you looking for line only or including phono, I ordered my VAC with phono.