Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp

Showing 14 responses by klh007

Mitch2, Can you share a link to your amp shootout?

Bill, I think the AQUA designation is La Scala III that incorporated the Optologic from the Formula, an upgrade from II to III is available for $1000, the difference in retail, very fair. 
I also believe the AQUA Formula, even the LaScala Optologic are top tier DACs, you can also contact Mark Sossa at Well Pleased A/V in VA who is the US Distributor.
mattnshilp, I see you are skipping tubed DACs and excluded the AQUA LaScala, but remember the top line from AQUA, The Formula, is all SS, worth a listen.
Matt, AQUA will be at AXPONA, or call Mark Sossa the US Distributor and see where you can get an audition. Here is Mark's website, http://wellpleasedav.com/about/  tell him Kemper sent you.
Matt, Please give the Comet Plus a go in your big rig before the DaVinci arrives, I'm betting it will surprise (in a good way) when running with the big dogs.
glory, Did you use any of dlcockrum's solutions? What USB and which footers did you use to get the Comet synced to your system? I also noted tha Mike of Verastarr held back and didn't even mention he's developed a few improvements for the Comet.
It's easy to see why Dan Wright has chosen to mod w/tubes both the OPPO 205 and Sonica, great foundation for advancements. You might want to start a thread detailing your mods and experience with the Sonica.
Matt, the Comet is from Exogal (formerly known as Wadia), and AQUA's top DAC, The Formula is SS w/o any valves.
matt, just an FYI, AQUA just upped the ante on their Formula adding the xHD suffix, better USB interface and new algorithms for the ladder array.
shadorne, Lyngdorf uses ICC (Inter-sample Clipping Correction) to give their TDAI-2170 12 dB headroom for the intersample overs you mention, this and the Benchmark are the only 2 I know of.
@ct, Would you consider letting us know which DACs you did find playing above the also rans?
Steve N, Since you like Jeff Wells' SS amps, have you heard his and Scott Frankland's new tube preamp the Commander? Might be a budget pre with $10K sonics.
I second Vinnie's L2 with DAC option, his DAC seems to perform along the lines of an AQUA Formula, way above the asking price and the DHT preamp is special.