Best beer

Kokanee gets my nod.
tmsorosk
1. Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale (amazing)
http://www.fearlesscritic.com/beer/41/kona-fire-rock-pale-ale

2. Goose Island Indian Pale Ale
http://www.fearlesscritic.com/beer/222/goose-island-ipa
Way too many to pick from these days. Given the number of fantastic micro-breweries on the West Coast (and everywhere else), there is no longer any reason to ship what are mostly over-hyped, mediocre beers from Holland, Germany, Belgium and Czech.

Drink Local!!
There is no definitive "best" of anything. There are way too many variables involved. The "best" you can hope for is to find something that works well in your system. You can then say it's the "best" for you until you find something you think is better !!!!

Wait a minute,wrong thread!!!! :)

The best beer is free beer. Wait,I take that back, the best beer is free cold beer. Yeah, that's the best beer.
Goose Island Bourbon County is my current favorite. Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA would be, but I have to drive out of state to buy it. Check my posts for more faves.

Relax, have a New Glarus Smoked Rye Ale and listen to some Ben Webster...
Kijanki, I beg to differ. I've had bad sex, it was, well, it was just bad. At least that's what she said!!!! :)
Nice one, Nebin - love the 10.

I'm a Triple Karmeliet man myself.

Dogfish Head 90, when fresh and cold, is a gem too.
There are far too many different styles of beer that are too different to select just one overall. Here are some faves:

If you have never tried it, try Fuller's ESB. It is one of the smoothest beers in the world. This is obviously my pick for an ESB.

For a brown ale, Samuel Smith's Nut Brown. They also make an excellent IPA.

For a stout, try Murphy's as an alternative to Guinness. A nice dessert beer is Young's Chocolate Stout, too.

For a Belgian style white, Celis White.

For an old ale, Anchor's Old Foghorn. Don't drink more than one if you are driving. Anchor also makes an excellent porter.
@Lloydc - ale is a type of beer

@everyone else. I'm a bit surprised that a group that is so knowledgeable about esoteric audio equipment is drinking so much beer from large breweries.

If you live on the West Coast (U.S.) try breweries like Stone, Firestone Walker, Bruery, Craftsman, Mammoth, Telegraph, Bootleggers, Lost Coast, Green Flash, Taps, Hangar 24, Mad River, Lost Coast, Rogue, Indian Wells Brewing, Kern River Brewing, Moylan's, Bear Republic, and many others.

On the East Coast, I highly recommend Ommegang (from Cooperstown, NY, specializing in Belgian style) and Unibroue (Quebec) and Allagash (Maine).

This is just a tiny sample. Recommending specific beers from these breweries is almost impossible. You need to narrow down the style.
I have been a big IPA fan of late and LOVE the Lagunista's Little Sumpin' Sumpin' ale, great name and a hearty IPS too, in fact, all their IPA's are excellent, hoppy but not too hoppy.

For a plain 'beer' you can't beat Blue Point Toasted Lager, for what it is it's expensive (usually ~$10/6) but it's just such a good lager and I have a great local seafood restaurant that has it on tap here so that's always a plus!

Most of the Colorado breweries I've tried are solid, Fat Tire seems to be the standard by which all other CO breweries are judged, but their are many good one from there.

We here in Tampa used to have Cigar City right in town but they have moved, the Jai Alai IPA is really good from them.

Just a few to ad to the list but if you can find the Lagunista's try them! I like all their beers that I've tried (had like 5-6 so a few!)
As an IPA fan, I just tried the recently released Hoptimum from Sierra Nevada: 10.4%/100 IBU. Mighty tasty (if you like DFH 90-minute, you would adore this beer). I am also a fan of 3 Floyds products, but they're virtually impossible to get here on the east coast. But every once in a while...
Mateored,

try Bell's Two Hearted Ale made by Bell's brewery Kalamazoo Michigan. Also, Amber Ale and Cherry Stout are worth a try. I did not mention them because I know most would not recognize the name or have access to it.
In NOLA I indulge in Turbodog, in Houston at least Shiner Bock makes being there palitable, in Philly there's nothing wrong with Jeungling, in Vancouver I'll go for a Sleeman's Honey Brown, in New Haven it's Sam summer ale, in SLC a Polyigamy Porter is just fine, and in New Hampster Magic Hat is always a pleasure. Then again, in Munich Franziskaner is fine, in Augsburg a Hasen Brau hefeweisen will work, in Copenhagen I'll do a Tuborg, in Amsterdam, Heniken tastes fine.

Best Beer. Depends where you are, and all beer is good beer (almost).
@Philjolet - not sure if we can get Bell's in California. I've never seen it here, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

@Kennyt - I can't believe I forgot to mention Lagunitas brewery - that's one of my favorites.

@Dopogue - Brother Thelonious is made by North Coast brewing, which is another fantastic brewer I forgot to mention
For best, most of the Belgian monks are my choice. I usually keep Warsteiner and Bass in my 'fridge.
Moinette Brune does it for me.

http://www.brasserie-dupont.com/dupont/en/6966-moinette-brune.html

;^)
Any of the Missoula Montana micros but as far as the best name "Moose Drool" leads the pack IMO.
Now a word from Tejas. Gotta put my vote out for Shiner Bock. Other good Texas beers include St. Arnold's in Houston, with a wonderful Brown Ale and a good summer beer--Lawnmower. Just don't drink and mow. I also agree with the many selections above--there is a real renaissance in local brews that keeps the small businesses alive and well.
the beer (or ale I do not remember) they sold at the Berghoff resturant in Chicago was my favorite ever (medium weight and a very fresh taste also not too much of a hop flavor) but I do not know if they sell it anymore since they switched hands and I have not been there in ten years.

fwiw
05-22-12: Tmsorosk
Free and cold would be good but what if it tasted gross?

Beggars can't be choosers Tim !!!!
Free and cold? The boys across the big pond would rather it be room temperature. Used to bartend at the small NATO military base I worked at. The Brits had some of their brew (Double Diamond ale, among others) brought in which was kept out of the coolers at room temp. Took a little getting used to, but was very tasty. Couldn't drink a lot of it though.

My favorite is Mug.
Been drinking lighter summery beers lately. Tusker from Kenya is very nice and there is one in the can from the guys who make Dale's Pale Ale called something like Mama Yella Pils (too lazy to go down the the fridge and check the name for sure) that is also in heavy rotation right now.
"Brew Free or Die IPA" is the one I have had recently that sticks out in my mind. An outstanding and very distinctive tasting IPA.
Favorite name is Arrogant Bastard Ale. Plus the label blatantly insults fans of Bud and Coors by stating "Perhaps you’re mouthing your words as you read this."
Rhapsd, I too am a big fan of the Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. I have one more in the fridge left over from earlier this spring but I like those better in the colder months. Summer'ish is almost here in Michigan and that means Oberon, with an orange slice, in the Beer Garden at Bell's. Damn, only 5 more months of that....tough to take. Another nice summer wheat is Trout Slayer, from the Big Sky Brewing folks in Missoula.
Deschutes ipa made in oregon.had it when i was in hawaii a couple years ago.still has not made it to the east coast
current two favs: skull splitter and st. bernardus ebt 12. both very flavorful. mmm ...
I'm amazed at how many beers I haven't heard of and how many folks here mention micro breweries. Here in Alberta Canada there are only large national union breweries.
Anyone know that the Weihenstephan brewery in Germany is the oldest, they've been making suds their for over 1000 years.
@Tmsorosk - sounds like a great business opportunity -- start selling micro-brews in Alberta!
Tmsorosk, there in Alberta Canada one of your large national union breweries brews Brador beer.....uh, things could be worse.
Arrogant Bastard is Stone Brewery, based in Northern San Diego County. All of their beers are excellent. I must admit that I find Arrogant Bastard excessively hoppy, but that's been the trend the last few years. I think the market is finally moving past that. Nonetheless, Arrogant Bastard is one of the great beer names.
For Arrogant Bastard types,

Give the oaked version a try sometime. It's great.
west vleteren = rare belgian trappist... one batch per license plate every 6 month...