Retail Music Stores Gone

We better pay real close attention to what is going on people. When companies like Tower Records close their doors, we got a problem! Audiophiles never download! Right?
zane
Barnes and Noble, as a place to buy CD's?

Overpriced...overpriced and poor selection. Besides, the musicsellers there have now developed this "hard close" strategy when they just wouldn't leave alone. The music sales there must be not up to snuff.
Nonsense uhurit,

A few recent scores as Barnes & Noble, including some off-beat labels:

Ali Farka Toure "Savane"
Kenny Werner "Lawn Chair Society"
Daniel Levin Quartet "Some Trees"
Lee Hazelwood "Cake or Death"
Sonny Rollings "Please"
Various Chesky SACDs

Many at 25% discount after membership card & emailed coupons.
Right!

You're buying CD's at list price with a 10 per cent membership discount that cost you $25 a year. A great deal? Gee, I hope you're not in the banking/investment industry
Browsing a CD store and especially those that offer preowned CD's is one of my favorite pastimes. Besides the chains (Borders, B&N, etc), the privately owned ones are out there. You just have to seek them out. Here in the NJ/PA area, there are several cool places to go and I do visit them regularly. They'll always be around as long as folks like us resist buying MP3 music on-line. But our local Borders has great sales of CD's and I'm a customer as well. Please, go out and patronize your local CD stores so they can hang in there. Thanks.
I hate shopping for CDs in a retail store. Unless I have some titles written down I can never remember what discs I want, and if I do remember, I have to hunt them down and hope that they are in stock. For me, shopping for CDs in a brick and mortar store is usually a stressful experience. Sorry, I don't get a kick out of chatting with the clerks with new-wave hairdos.

However, shopping on iTunes is a joy. Finding the music I want is easy, and I can listen to a 30 second sample with a double-click of the mouse. The store even provides recommendations based on my previous purchases. I get the music right away, and the best part is that I only have to pay for the tracks that I want.

Of course, iTunes is currently only offering 128kbps AAC files with DRM, but that is starting to improve with the offering of 256kbps AAC files (arguably indeterminable from CD) free of DRM for EMI's artists later this month.

I understand that many people don't share my enthusiasm for shopping online for a multitude of reasons, but I can't see how 5 years from now the majority of music purchases will be done online.