AKG K701

I wasn't sure where to post this so here goes. I'm interested in the AKG K701 heaphones, and had a few questions. Will a Harman Kardon CDR-26 power them ok? I won't be able to afford a headphone pre-amp for a while. If you were going to spend $400.00 on phones which would you suggest? Would I be better off buying say a pair of Sennheiser - HD580 headphones, and a Antique Sound - HB1 Hybrid Tube Headphone Amp to go with it. I can do either one of those options.
tony3d
Hi. I can tell you straight off that many people here will try to send you over the Headfi.com. If you haven't been there yet, and I'm assuming you haven't based on this post, please note that the content is 75% crap so, you'll have to sort through it to find good info. Other than that, please consider also the Grado R1 or R2 or a Senn HD650 with upgraded cable. Grado's sound relatively bright, the Senn HD650s laid back (less detail) and I've never heard the AKGs but, they don't "sound" interesting to me from the reviews.
The 701s need a high quality ($$$) headphone amp to shine. HD580s are a fantastic value and will sound great with the ASL HB1. Additionally - look for a Musical Fidelity X-Cans v2 or V1. Wonderful synergy with the HD580s.
I own the 701s, Senn 650s, and Beyerdynamic DT880s.
I prefer the latter two by a long shot. If you like the 701 "sound", you may prefer the DT 880s as they're better balanced spatially and tonally. Re-cabling is a good idea for any of them although the DT 880s are probably least in need of this. The 650s probably most require a good headphone amp.
Let me chime in here folks, but the caveat is that I'm not a huge fan of "cans", at least not when compared to listening to my super Andra IIs.

But there are times when they do come in handy, especially at night, for some "me" time. I've owned the Senn 650s, Grado SR-225s, and now I have the AKG K701s. My headphone amp is the Singlepower PPX3 SLAM which is a good match with the 701s. If you are a bass hound, you won't get it from the 701s. However, if you value a realistic soundstage with great layering, good speed, and natural tonality (especially in the midrange), then the 701s do IT. I am very happy with them, and I paid less than $300 for 'em brand new which made it even sweeter.

Oh yeah, head warnings and be patient about a long break in for the 701s. 200+ hours.
I can help answer your question. I currently own the AKG 701's, Sennheiser 580's & 600's, Grado SR-325's. Out of the entire bunch the AKG's are by far the best. They have the sweetest sound, deepest bass, out of the bunch. They are also the least efficient.

I use my Linn music classik and a pro-ject headphone amp. On both units I have to turn the volume control up quite a bit to get the same loudness on 701's compared to the 580's.

That said, if you can buy the 701's go for it and upgrade your headphone amp as funds permit. My Linn music can drive the 701's plenty loud, however these phones are worthy of a top headphone amp.

I hope this helps