Tubes vs. Panels?

A few months ago I started a thread in another forum about room treatments, and another forum member (after viewing digital photos of the room, a bird's eye sketch, and asking lots of questions) sent me back a computer-generated printout showing the placement of four 16" diameter bass traps that stood four feet high, and three additional 13" bass traps that stood 42" high.

I can fit all of that stuff in my room, but I'd really rather not.

Then, yesterday, in a different discussion, someone else sent me a link to an outfit called GIK Acoustics, which offers free-standing panels among other things.

My question: given that the panels probably won't work as well as the specific thing the computer wanted me to make, does everyone think they'll still work *reasonably* well? I could buy them relatively inexpensively and not have to reconfigure the whole room.
dog_or_man
Dog_or_man, I'm in a similar situation--I'm trying to decide how to treat my room with panels or tube traps. I wasn't aware of a software program that determined the ideal size of the tube traps. Can you tell me what you're using or point me to a web site. Many thanks, Mark
Well, the interesting thing is that I didn't actually get to see or use the software -- I posted a thread in the audio asylum about my trouble, and this fellow in Singapore replied with all these subsidiary questions and requests for photos and everything. I thought he was planning to hire someone to break into my house, or something.

And then, about a week later, I get this e-mail from him with this very professional looking CAD diagram, that says: Place four 16" tubes exactly here, here, here, and here. Then place three 13" tubes exactly here, here, and here. I had no idea that different diameters, different shapes, even different heights made such a big difference -- but according to this guy (and his program) they apparently do.

I'll go back through the threads and try to find the guy. I think at least some of our correspondence was by private e-mail, so those might be easier to find -- or else gone altogether, which is the other thing that happens to e-mail.
02-10-08: Nsgarch
"Dave, please share your source for that information"

I don't recall where, or if, I read it at any one source. I have known it for a very long time? Any pro acoustical site that provides "a lot" of free acoustics reading material should have good info if you dig around...start at (Realtraps) and (Rives). Also, the Audioasylum (acoustics forum).

Nothing magnetic going on with sound trapping. It's a surface area thing. A larger target, will absorb more than a smaller target.

Dave
Dave, my understanding is that tube traps eliminate excess bass energy by 'trapping' it within a (half open - half solid) tube. The energy then dissapates as it resonates up and down the tube -- sort of an organ pipe in reverse. Panels do not work that way.