Is it best to leave gear on or to shut it off?

Does anyone have any insight on whether it is better to turn off vintage gear at night of to leave it on and never shut it off?
30wgary
your gear will always sound better warmed your preamp and amps i would leave on all day then turn them off at night
Some gear has no on/off. My Pass preamp is one such - to turn unit off, pull plug. My amp I keep in Standby. My digital stuff draws about 10W a box; it stays on for convenience's sake. I turn thr transport off. My phono stage is like the preamp: plug in; it's on. That's just me though.
cheers apo
I once had my first-ever ''high end'' unit, the diminutive original Naim Nait, a whopping 18 watts per channel, but sounded subjectively like an 60 watter. Turned it on in 1984, turned it off when I sold it ten years later in 1994 ! We are are almost 2008, and the guy I sold the unit to, a friend of mine, still has it turned-on to this day! We are talking 24 years here with only a 1-hour interruption !

Quality gear can usually take it, and some manufacturers, like Naim - actually recommends leaving amps ON at all times, including sources.

When I think of all the expensive gear I have owned since, including mega-dollar tube amps, and factor in the hours wasted chasing for the Holy Grail of sound, I sometimes miss that little red light in my living room, confirming that my tiny amp was on constant warmed-up-and-ready mode.

Cheers