Acoustic TReatments - What, How much, & Where?

Hello all you room treatmentfiles.

Being at the point where I probably should have begun, now, I want to 'treat' the room, acoustically. Economic reasons say I might have to go by way of ‘foam’ stick ups on the wall, but I’d really rather not. The desired alternative, however, is panels, and they are mighty pricey. OK.

Reading over the online info at various panel makers websites, (ASC, RPG, GIK, etc), some panels have different ranges of absorbtion, reflection, etc. according to the makers.

Q: How do you know just the amount of absorbtion, or diffusion to incorporate into the room via panels, traps, etc.?

Is there some Rosetta stone that will decrypt this for me… or is it all “trial & ear-ror”?

GIK panels seem the most feasible cost alternative, presently.

Any suggestions or related experiences in regard to sources for, or treatments of, will be more than a welcome thing.

Thank you
blindjim

Jaf2290

Thanks much, I'll look into it some more... You have used or dealt with these folks previously?

Shame they don't trot out the shipping info prior to placing the order, huh?
yes, ive used them on 2 occasions..one to custom make a panel to go over my door for soundproofing (apartment living, complaining neighbors)..they did a great job. most recently bought a pair of wallpanels and bass traps...going to get another pr of wall panels soon..shipping for 2 3'x4' panels and 2 4'tall bass traps was 50 bucks i think...also a HUGE selection of fabric colors/patters for panels..good luck
if your budget is an issue (it is for me) definitely go and buy the $200 RoomTunes kit from michael green audio. WAY better looking than panels and easier to figure out. Once all your corners are treated, look into a few bass traps, and you are done.... no affiliation. I just bought a set and am thrilled beyond belief. I no longer desire better gear, i had it all along. Acoustic treatments made much more of a benefit than any cabling decisions ever did... the 2 together however, are magic.

Mattcecil

I do thank you for the info... I've been to that site several times without any succesful results... I jmust be missing some link somewhere but I can't seem to find either the appropriate products that interest me or pricing or details about them... I even tried dcalling and that too did nothing... all I got waws someone no longer afiliated with Mr. Green.

the coloring of the website too as I recall, is also quite difficult to get past. So I just gave up on Green's stuff.