Blue Note reissues as an investment?

What are your thoughts about the investment potential of the Music Matters' numbered limited edition releases versus the unnumbered limited edition copies? How about the Analogue Productions limited edition numbered Blue Notes?

(Some will be outraged, no doubt, about people buying these with the intent to sell on ebay in the future but that's a different issue. Frankly, I have no problem with it; People buy art, real estate, etc as investments and this is no different.)

I just ordered the Music Matters' subscription but plan to listen to all of them and sell only what I don't like. That said, I hope I love them all. If I had the money (I don't) perhaps I would buy two sets and keep one as an investment.

BTW, Elusive Disc just announced they have more subscriptions available in case you thought you missed out.
kublakhan
Classic Records, Analogue Productions, Mosaic, Music Matters - they're just going to keep coming. There will always be supply to fill any major void in demand. Frankly, I think the LP craze peaked (pricewise) in 2006. I have close to 200 sealed records (just because I haven't gotten around to listening to them yet). Some are very desirable - and very very few have gone up in value over the past couple of years.

The Music Matters issues, at almost $60 per issue incl. shipping, are pushing the pricing envelope if you ask me. Is someone going to pay $100 for these down the line? Depends how many are floating around out there. All I see on the MM website is "limited edition". In fact - the 2500 copy figure is notoriously absent from MM's documentation. It seems to appear in all the dealers' literature, but not actually in MM's words anywhere. I don't see any explicit guarantees that the Master will be destroyed and that they won't start re-pressing at a later date.

Also look, for example, at "Mosaic Complete Recordings of Miles Davis Quintet 65-68" - a 10 lp set in unplayed condition just sold on Ebay for $202.50. That's a whopping $22 over the original purchase price. And that's TEN lp's for $202.

I'd buy 'em cause you want them, and leave it at that.

Also re: the numbered copies. If they're pressing 2500 copies of each, I would ask how many stampers they're using. If multiple stampers, it's possible that an early non-numbered pressing from Stamper #2 may be superior to a late-numbered pressing from the end of Stamper #1's run.
If their plan is to run only one stamper - or press directly from the Father - I would definitely NOT opt for non-numbered copies.
Collectibles are generally not a good investment. Want to buy some Beanie Babies?

Look at something very collectible like the Mobile Fidelity boxed set of the Beatles. It retailed for around $300

Historically you can double your money in the stock market about every 6 years. That set was released 26 years ago so you would have had about 4 doubles in that time.

$300 x2 x2 x2 x2 = $4,800

Sealed sets are pretty rare but opened ones go for around $1,000 so it is hard to imagine a sealed one would get almost 5 times that.

It's like those late 60's early 70's muscle cars going for 100-200 thousand. Still a bad investment. Using the same math on a car that cost $3,000 in 1970 it would have doubled maybe 6 times.

$3k x2 x2 x2 x2 x2 x2 = $192,000

Factor in the insurance paid each year that would also have double in value every so many years had it been invested (take just the first year and let's say it was $200 it would be worth almost $13,000 now, each year compounded a little less but easily a few $100K after 38 years), add maintenance, garage space, and the off frame restoration it takes to get top dollar that costs probably close to $50,000 and you just lost your ass on that deal.

That doesn't include the pleasure of ownership but as an investment it doesn't do so well. Buy them because you want to listen to them and enjoy them.
Buying limited edition LPs sometimes brings up an interesting dilemma. About a year ago I found a copy of Mosaic's Jackie McLean for $150 and hemmed and hawed whether I should buy it and finally did. Just the other day I saw that a copy went for over $500 on ebay. This is what sparked my post. Now I have to ask myself, can I really justify holding on to my copy when I can use the cash to buy ten Music Matters LPs with it? There are worse problems to have, but you know...
There's a lot of randomness on Ebay, and i didn't see the auction you're referring to but that result would be a rare one. The McLean Blue Note sets have averaged around $270-$280 for years. One just went in March for $270, and there's one up right now finishing in a day or two, so watch that one. So they are trading above the original cost. But what made your set a good "investment" was not rising prices, but rather that you bought it at a below market price.
Opalchip,, that McLean on ebay right now is actually a cd set. The past auction I was referring to is too old to show up...it just disappeared a couple of days ago. Even for what you say is the average price for that mosaic set it's still hard for me to justify holding on to it. Keeping it when it's selling at that price is basically the same as buying it for that price.