Is a dimmer noisy when it's turned OFF?

Friends, my wife wants to add a rheostat to the dining room ceiling lamp. I know that dimmers are big sources of electrical noise, could will it have any effect on my listening room power when it's turned completely off? Just want to be sure.
cymbop
...then there are dimmers that don't make noise (that you can hear), but kind of pixilate (make fuzzy) the sound of my system....actually, its the ceiling fan that does that. I searched many hours to find out what was wrong to find the problem.
Stringreen,
Good description. We also get that effect from leaving various appliances plugged in (microwave oven, television, etc.) even when they're switched "off". It's pretty low level, but for insanely critical listening we unplug as many as we conveniently can.
Zero crossing dimmer is key. Cheap dimmers cause all kinds of noise. Here is what I learned posted in a non audiophile forum...

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/838320-buzzing-sound-ferrite.html

J
Wouldn't the key be to have lighting and dimmer on a separate circuit or even a different sub panel? I use dimmers in my home theater/listening room to great effect and notice no problems with noise. My components do run from a separate sub panel though. To me the right level of lighting can make all the difference, hard to control without dimmers.
Sonofjim, I agree...love my dimmers and have zero interference that I can detect.