VPI Classic 3 IDLE drive

Hi all,

I have as VPI Classic 3 I bought about 1 year ago and I was lately looking at the pictures on their website and notice that the classic now has an idle drive.
I also noticed that the platter has grooves where the belt goes, while mine doesn't.
I then called vpi and asked them if the idle drive was ready to be purchased for upgrade but They told me it wasn't.

Today while looking on you tube, I saw a video with a classic 3 with the same device I have seen on the website.

It is basically a larger pulley that touches the platter thus functioning like a rim drive however it still uses the belt along with it.

I was wondering if anybody here can help understand if this upgrade is finally available.

Thanks.
Stefano.
stefanoo
Correction, my post should have said the 300 rpm pulley. I have then larger pulley on my classic 3.
The small pully is for a 600 rpm motor. The larger pully is for a 300 rpm motor. It looks like the current model now has a 300 rpm motor.

You cannot use a belt and have the pully touch the platter. They travel is in different directions.
Thank you all for all your comments!

Is the lover RPM's motor better than the higher's?

I would be tempted to say that the lower the RPMs the less the vibration.
Could anybody here give me a hint if I should ask VPI to send me the lower RPM's or it's not a significant change?!?

I will read carefully through the comments for lubrication of the motor.
Just one comment: I don't see any Allen wrench under the collar I think it is press and fit, am I wrong?
I have read some info on the net and saw this review:

http://www.tonepublications.com/analogaholic/the-vpi-classic-1-turntable-originally-featured-in-issue-46/

As a matter of fact they are saying that plinth on Classic 3 is more massive and that motor is 300RPM.

When I bought this table I was upgrading from a Classic 1 and motor and plinth are or at least look exactly the same.

Now I am wondering, is it possible to get these parts replaced to match the latest stock table?
Does anybody have my same configuration?
My table has the silver top instead of the black mat finish.
I was so zealous that I was one of the first one to upgrade to the Classic 3.
I have read some info on the net and saw this review:

http://www.tonepublications.com/analogaholic/the-vpi-classic-1-turntable-originally-featured-in-issue-46/

As a matter of fact they are saying that plinth on Classic 3 is more massive and that motor is 300RPM.

When I bought this table I was upgrading from a Classic 1 and motor and plinth are or at least look exactly the same.

Now I am wondering, is it possible to get these parts replaced to match the latest stock table?
Does anybody have my same configuration?
My table has the silver top instead of the black mat finish.
I was so zealous that I was one of the first one to upgrade to the Classic 3.