DACs With Killer Built-In Preamps

I see a lot of DACs with volume controls with the ability to act as a preamp. The Audio Research Reference Dac/Digital Media Bridge ($15k) has a volume control and a lot of innards of its Reference 5SE preamp...which makes for a very serious preamp section on that DAC.

Are there any DACs with voulume controls under $7k that can compete with top-tier preamps?
128x128mitch4t
There is no volume control technology that beats adjusting the D/A reference voltage to adjust the DAC output. This adds no parts to the signal path, adjusts no gain stage and puts no resistor or gain stage in the signal path. It actually increases S/N ratio and lowers THD as the volume is lowered unlike all other volume technologies. It is in another class from other volume control technologies, but can only be accomplished with digital in a DAC. This is like using no preamp at all.

This is EXACTLY like connecting the line-out on a typical DAC directly to the amps. No difference, except that the volume does not blow-up the speakers.

See:
http://www.empiricalaudio.com/products/overdrive-dac

Also, a version of the BIDAT evidently used this technology although I have never heard it.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
For those with more limited budgets, or who feel that spending big bux does not necessarily give you the best value for your dollar, the Emotiva XDA-2 DAC/Digital Preamp/Headphone Amp might be a great way to go. And at only $399 with a 5-year, transferable warranty and a 30-day in-home trial, this could be just the ticket.

Emo also has a very highly-regarded, fully-balanced, differential reference preamp available for $899. Check out the XSP-1 for more details...

www.emotiva.com

-RW-
I'd take a hard look at the Empirical Audio DAC, and a lot of people seem to like the Berkeley DAC run directly into an amp as well. Best of luck.
Also look into the Aesthetic pandora. It has a preamp / VC option based on technology from their acclaimed calypso tube preamp. It is supposed to be a phenomenal DAC to boot. It is right at your pricepoint.