Do I have a "balance" problem?

My system is in a dedicated room, 13 x 12.5 x 8.5, with one chair centered between the speakers. The speakers are several feet away from the front and side walls. I've treated the room, including absorption panels to deal with first reflections. Here's my issue: to get proper L/R imaging, I have to set the balance control in favor of the right channel somewhere between (depending on the recording) 1:00 and 2:30 on the dial. My system has always been this way and the issue is consistent with both LP and CD playback. I recently auditioned three line stages and each one required the balance control set to the right. By way of "troubleshooting," I've switched tubes, cleaned all contacts, and systematically switched L/R cables on each pair of interconnects one at a time. Nothing changes. There is no degradation of sound in the right channel (at least to my ears) and when the balance is set properly the music sounds great. But I just don't understand why the balance control needs to be set so far to the right. Does anyone else out there have a similar situation? Is there something "wrong" with my system? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Ag insider logo xs@2xcrazee01
Once you start playing with room acoustics, things can get pretty complicated in a hurry. The more you play around with panels and such the more you realize how powerful they can be in both helping and hurting sound. One really needs a test CD like the XLO Test CD to sort things out. And there are so many unwanted peaks in the room, including standing waves, reflections and echoes, that Herculean efforts are necessary to fully address them all properly and at the same time not interfere with the naturalness, openness, and tonal integrity of the signal.
Post removed 
You can also rule out your ears by simply turning around. I think it's room acoustics and speaker placement that are causing your problem. Same issue in my room, left speaker is further from the corner than the right, more rear reflection and sound is louder on that side. When I change the placement of the right speaker, the problem resolves.

I once had an amp that used a timed relay to protect the speakers from any turn on/turn off pulse. After a few years the relay's contacts degraded and affected the sound in a very similar manner. Sometimes the right channel wouldn't even play until the volume passed a threshold level, and at low volumes the left channel was always louder.
If you suspect the balance difference is your hearing. Get a good set of headphones and adjust the balance control on your preamp. If the sound is centered and the balance control is centered, the problem is in your room or speaker placement.

Speaker placement can also correct a hearing balance problem. Very small changes in speaker placement make a big audible "balance" difference in many speakers. Listen to several different recordings that have strong, left, right, and center, imaging.
Using your balance control is not a major problem. Manufacturers, including many of the big names, put balance controls on their preamps because your situation is fairly common. No harm is done if you have to set your balance control a little right (I'm sure someone will disagree with that).

If you can get a nicely centered image by moving your speakers around, fine, but I wouldn't tear out any walls or anything like that.