Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Hi Marill555. I'm still "alive and kicking". Yes, I recall well that time when some considered us the equivalent of partners in crime when we detailed the problems we had with the sound of our Suprateks. I want to also say, though, that there were some concerned and sympathetic Agoners who came to our aid because they felt we were being treated unfairly. Obviously, all people owning the same component never respond in exactly the same way(s), and when you and I "bucked the tide" some out there got pretty nasty. Sorry, but no component is a sacred cow. In my response you sited above from 3/13/07, I indicated I had not yet tried the 6SN7 Tungsols, Ken Rad black glass,etc. in an effort to neutralize the glare I had heard with my Cortese. Well, eventually I did shell out big bucks for those tubes, and still found no respite from the leering glare. After trying a gaggle of other components, including other speakers, I reached the point where I said, "That's enough". The rest is history. I had no ill will whatsoever toward Mick. His preamp just didn't satisy me in my system. To others who have enjoyed the Suprateks in their systems, I am happy for them, and I sincerely hope they continue to derive great pleasure from Mick's creations. As for me, I am extremely happy with the preamp I now own. It's always a joy when someone finds real satisfaction with the sound produced by their system or any individual component. In closing, I hope your money issue with Mick can be resolved soon, Ilia. Good listening too all!
Opus88,
Glad to hear from you, and that you are happy with your current preamp. I moved on, as well, with no regrets, just $2000 lighter, and a little bit wiser.
Plutos - I tried the Promitheus TVC. Super clean, nuanced sound with a tube like warmth to it. I enjoyed it, but it did not have the dynamics and openness of active preamps. Though I'd bet it was one of the most transparent preamps available for the price. Promitheus has a preamp with an active tube stage in it that probably does the dynamic thing also (haven't heard it). Back to Supratek. One of the best preamps I have owned, and I have been through many. No glare on my system, running a Pass Labs X-150 Eminent Technology speakers, a ESound CD player. I am loving the sound. I have the Tungsol tubes as well as other NOS tubes. I actually like the stock 6SN7s on it best. I trust my ears. Not to boast, but I play piano professionally (1 of my professions - need to do other things to get by in the music business :) Jazz is my love. I know what live music is suppose to sounds like (amplified and unamplified) and attend acoustic concerts- yes classical music. Lang Lang is one of my favorite young pianist) I went through about 5-6 preamps before this one to get that "you are there sound". Those that own one should be proud. Those that have purchased others and have moved on, great. This is a hobby! You have to trust your own ears. Doesn't make the Supratek a bad preamp.
Thanks for listening. On a side not, please support your local musicians. You are missing out on some great talent, even if the sound isn't perfect and the acoustics stink. I don't know how many times I have invited audiophile friends out to listen to some great jazz, and they would rather sit in front of their systems at home - all the time. To bad - nothing like the real thing baby! Sorry going off on another topic. Selah!
Jeffjazz - thanks for your answer. Its most valuable for me because believe it or not but I also use Pass X-150 as power amp. Speakers are Focal 926 and have owned several digital sources lately but Marantz SA-1 is my favorite till now. It seems that I need to try Supratek.
Also wanted to ask what Supratek pre are you using?
Chardonney. The "low end" of Supratek. I have had more expensive preamps, and like it better. Mates great with the Pass amp because you can adjust the gain which is rare on a preamp. No impedance problems either. - Jeff