Levinson 23.5 - I think I need a new toy.

Being a die-hard tube guy, I haven't used a ss amp in my main system for many years; except a brief stint with Meitner 101's which are now in a weekend home system. A friend wants to sell his Levinson 23.5 for what seems like a very very good price (cheap!). It is in terrific shape, hasn't been used nor abused much, and is one of the few ss amps that really picqued by interest (based on reviews) back when I was still on the fence re the tubes vs ss thing. I figure, what the hell; I can always sell it if I can't stand the ss-itis. It would be powering one of two sets of speakers; either Paragon Regents (easy load transmission line), or Stax electrostats (brutal load).

I welcome any thoughts re this amp. Reliability, desirability, resale, sonic experiences, etc. Thanks.
frogman
They are dark sounding...in other words, not the most treble extension which can be good or bad depending on your system balance and room acoustics. I have a 27.5 as a backup from my former system...similar sound, just less power.
Rockitman nailed it. I had the original no. 23 many moons ago, and if you want clarity and top end extension, look somewhere else. I found the 23 to be dull and muffled. Not a very rewarding experience.
The ML23.5 was a great amplifier, but most probably will need a full recap, as all the electrolitic capacitors have lost most (or all) of their capacity. It is a very compact unit with several PCBs in layers and it will be a lot of work.

The ML23.5 is significantly better than the 27.5 or the 23, but is an old fashioned sound - you will need a matching preamplfier that will impart some life to the system.

I have to say that the only amplfier of this family I would love to own is the ML20.6 - a very different amplifier.
No solid state-itis with the 23.5. It is one of the best sounding solid state amps made, but I recommend you use it with the matching ML preamp. I would not worry about a recap. See if you like it. It is a great amp. The 20.6 Microstrip mentioned is Class A monos costing much more than the 23.5.
I respectfully disagree. The class-A Krells of the 80s-early 90s run rings around the Levinson.