Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
first i've heard of it. that totally sucks, but i guess i'm glad i got my dual cab when i did if it is true. hopefully mick will post to this thread and let us all know.
If this is true, the few that own Suprateks should consider themselves extremely lucky, as this preamp will be a classic if it isn’t already – I have very little doubt in my mind about that. It is gracious of Mick to continue to support folks who run into problems – hopefully for a long time to come. I honestly hope this is a misunderstanding but if not I wish Mick the best of luck in whatever he does. Being such a gifted designer I hope it continues to be in the audio world.
Yes, it is true. Mick and I corresponded over the weekend and he is indeed giving up on audio and Supratek is no more.

I was his original importer and friend and he has his sights set on something new for his life.

It is making me think hard about whether I will sell the Cortese I have listed on Audiogon, or not, as I feel his gear will become classics. I've owned a bunch of his preamps and amps and while they have had some build issues, they all sound like real music.

I sure wish him the best of luck.
Yes, it is true. I exchanged e-mails with Mick. He is just not making a profit anymore. He told me he had to step up production to make any money, and he felt quality was suffering as a result. Mick is very proud of the preamps he builds and he is not willing to let quality suffer. He is going to manage a vineyard and he seems very excited about it. As a result of starting the "Preamp of the Century" thread, I felt I had become good friends with Mick. The news hit me pretty hard, but I told Mick that he has to do what makes him happy. I wish him all the best in his new endeavor.

I hope this won't mean the end of this thread, as I have made many new friends here. Mick should be in the audio hall of fame for his brilliant designs. As you know, specs never meant much to Mick. The music is all that mattered to him. HERE'S TO YOU MICK!
Hi Guys.
yes it's true- I'm afraid I'm going to have to wind up Supratek, at least for now. It's gotten very hard to make a living with the Chinese competition and the exchange rate.
I would have to double the prices to get back to a reasonable return , and then you get into the market where it's all hype and opinion over good innovative circuitry , which has always been the strength and fun of Supratek.
I'll finish off the orders we have, and maybe my assistant might do a few Chardonnays in the future , but pleased be assured that i'll always be available to help with any warranty issues or questions.
It's been fun and a pleasure to deal with everyone, even the crazy besotted audiophiles with their mad "upgrades" .
Thanks to everyone for their support, especially Dan and Kevin ,truly wonderful generous people .
And to Tom who started this thread so long ago.
Who knows- maybe Supratek might come back , but it's a different world now than it was 10 years ago, and for now i have other obligations.
Look after yourselves, and your families.
Mick