Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
When I first bought my Supratek Grange, I was a little concerned about what might happen if my preamp needed a little work, but Mick's website said he would forward schematic to tech, so that served to allay my fears...Wonderful preamp, and the most georgeous piece of equipment I have ever owned....
Well, the time came when I experienced a problem with the system, and I THOUGHT I had it narrowed down to the preamp, so I contacted Mick with questions, one of them being would he recommend anyone in California to take a look at my preamp. He said to contact Kevin Covi in the eastern U.S. I called him on the phone, and he spent an HOUR with me talking over my perceived problem, Supratek design philosophy, etc. Wow! Having been in audio for 25 years, this was quite a suprise that he spent so much time with me, and assured me he would troubleshoot my preamp, and make it right. He also volunteered to set up my preamp to use PX4, 45, AND 300B tubes. Well, long story short, he checked out my preamp, and it was fine. He changed the switches for the tubes, readjusted bias, gave it the once over...Perfecto....AND he turned it around within days, and charged me about 1/2 to 1/3 what any tech would charge (in my opinion). SO! Hope you don't have a problem with your Supratek, but if you do (or think you do) know that there are people like Mick and Kevin Covi who are dedicated to their product and high quality service...A+++
Who has rolled PX4, 45, and 300B in Grange preamp? I have been running the PX4's that came with my Grange (bought on Audiogon) and am now wondering about tube rolling. Kevin Covi has told me that a lot of folks are using the WE 300B and loving it...He says this is the hot ticket...I would hope so, at the price per pair...Anyone tried RCA 45's, Cunningham 45's, TJ Mesh Plate 300b's, Sophia Electric Princess 300b's? Trial and error tube rolling in this price leauge is expensive, so would love to hear the experiences of others. System is Cain and Cain single horn Ben's with Bailey subwoofer, TNT/SME 4/Koetsu, Opus 21 cd player, Welborne 300b monoblocks. Should I bite the bullet and just get the WE, or...?
I had my Chardonnay for over 18 months now but 2 days ago, it developed a problem - the right channel is much softer than the left channel. I've tried swapping the left and right channel tubes but the right channel is still softer. I thought the preamp was built to last for a long time.
Can anyone offer an explanation? What should I do now?
ethifi:

i don't suppose you've got one channel set to high gain and one channel set to low gain? just a thought.