Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Longho68,

Caveat the waiting period (as painfull as it is!), remember that those of us who bought the units brand new went trough the same agony. The only difference is that us who have the units now, ordered them earlier than you do. Nothing else, same pain, same anticipation, same wishfulthinking for the day the unit will arrive.

Having said that, the rewards are great my friend. I too was considering the Hovland preamp when I stumble on this thread. I am very glad I did!

My take is that I never heard a tube preamp that delivers as "hard" and as "pure" bass than the Supratek. The praises you heard about how great the midrange is, the delicacy of the midrange when it is called for by the source, IMHO is very much true. The highs compliments the two region very well as well. In short, I really believe that you will be happy!

Aesthetics? Man, if you like the picture on the gallery, you will be shocked how exotic the preamp really looks like in person with woods and all. In fact, I may be crossing the line here, I never wipe my preamp with regular cloth but with 3M static linth free ones . I use compressed air as much as possible to preserve the looks. It commands the room to say the least. Impressive? I can let you ask my friends who wants to buy the preamp from me on the spot by just looking at it! When they heard it, they were floored! I told them the waiting period and I guess some if not all are now in line like you for Mick's wonders.

Sit tight my friend! You made a very "musical" and wise investment.

Cheers!
I owned a Syrah before and now I have switched to Chenin. It is no doubt that the Chenin sounds more superior than the Syrah especially on the phono stage but there is a problem on the choice of rectifier. I can't use Bendix 6106 nor Mullard GZ32 anymore because they provide a lower current output. Unlike Syrah, Chenin has no tolerance on this and it produces a hugh humble noise if not using GZ34 or 5AR4 as the rectifier. Any suggestion on this?
Amandarae,

I ordered the upgraded High Black gloss finish for the Chenin. This otta be really pretty......But I have to admit that when I heard the Hovland and saw in in real life, I feel in love with it....but after reading this thread and recommendations of my audiogon consultant friends, they all told me to go with the Supratek.....and that the Chenin sounded way better in their systems.

I'll let you all know how it goes when my Chenin gets here..:-)

Long
p.s. I lied, I didn't really read all of this thread, it is way too long..:-)....
Ecmlee,

Yep! I too have the same "noise" when switching to a Bendix 61006 tube. As for a different tube rather than a 5AR4/GZ34, have you tried RCA 5V4GA? I found this tube "pleasing to the ear" as well when use as rectifier comparing them to my Mullard Metal Base 5AR4.

Just a suggestion.
Just a short comment on the Chenin... I ordered my Chenin in piano black and chrome...Absolutely gorgeous...I have not spent a lot of time with it yet...very busy...Having logged 200 + hours using a vintage Fisher FM 100-B tuner for most of the burn in.I have just begun to swap tubes with n.o.s...One thing for sure that stands out with the Chenin is how unforgiving and revealing it is with what is plugged into it, along with the quality of recordings flowing through it...I like that... This has narrowed my search for a new system,goes something like this...Dynaudio special 25s or Gilmore audio #4,heard the model 2s...God save us...Atmasphere m-60s monos,for sure,VPI Scoutmaster with options,cables ect,hmm Anyway,I started to read preamp deal of the century around #200.It took a while to convince me...Its for real...