harman kardon citation 16 amp?????

How do some of you older audiophiles like this amp? Is it a good amp for driving psb gold speaker? I have a tube preamp and i am not sure how it will perform with it. I can pick it up for around 300 bucks, is this a decent deal or too much for this vintage amp? Sorry so many questions i just am on the fence about purchasing it. Is there any way to check it out with a volt meter before buying it. I am no electrician at all but with some guidance i may be able to check it out further. Its a all black face and doesnt have the v pattern lights like most ive seen. ANy way to tell what the amp is? Just says citation sixteen on the front with 2 leds and a toggle switch. thanx for the info, much appreciated
flyin2jz
I know this is old, but in response to the Normansizemore 2-16-11 post, I agree. I have a McIntosh MC-250 amp and C-27 pre-amp. I also have a Harmon-Kardon Citation 16AS and 17S amp and pre-amp. I never would have thought the recently swapped in H-K would sound better, but it does. I am using ADS L810 speakers which are pretty efficient, so the 50 wpc of the MC-250 versus the 150 wpc of the 16AS shouldn't be a case of too wimpy an amp for the purpose. Plus I play classical and 60s LPs at reasonable volume and the listening area isn't too far at all. The H-K sounds more musical, and I really do hear some soft percussion not heard before.
I'm guessing the McIntosh uses a transformer coupled output. The H/K does not. You may notice the H/K also has better transient response, as well as better air because of better high frequency response and power bandwidth. H/K's have always had a wide frequency response and I believe they are direct coupled or nearly so. The H/K is also capable of more current delivery, and therefore, better bottom end performance.
Mcintosh are well built, but personally I would take most H/K Citation amps over any Mac equipment, as mentioned they just plain sound better.
Add the PA2400, and Signature 1.5 to that list as well.
Mcintosh is more of a status symbol IMHO-good sound, but H/K amps clearly best them in sound- as those coupling transformers, IMHO kill sound-yuk!
My two best audio buddies, certified Mac freaks, both agree my H/K amps have a one up on them-it pretty easy to hear. Especially through a revealing speakers, such as AMT3's and the like.
Wide band width, high slew rates, and fast transient response make a difference. H/K amps in part where the reason test data looks at square wave response.
I agree. H/K runs a wide open format-direct coupled.
Most H/K amps are rock solid reliable, but with age, one needs to consider them to need a full check out service. Redo all the heat stressed solder connections, re heat sink the outputs etc, as they run higher bias/current them a lot of amps, and with this comes heat, and stress.
Once this is done, you should be good for many years.
Since I still have one, and it still works, I'll just add this for completion.
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/inside-out-harman-kardon-citation-16-amplifier.html

The only amp I have that sounds better is the all class A all the time Kinergetics KBA-75