Buy tubes from Audio Research or not

I need to retube my amp and I'm having trouble deciding whether I should buy my tubes from Audio Research or buy them on the open market. If you have any experience with this I'd appreciate your help.
taters
He's getting the tubes from the actual Importer. They are going to match the tubes for him.

This could be hit or miss.Buying from a reputable vendor that does their own matching,in my opinion,is a safer way to go.The bottom line is this...If you feel comfortable with your guy,it's your money,spend it as you see fit.I still think you should get to know your equipment and do your own maintenance.It's very rewarding and will save you a ton of money.Good luck.
I would really like to do my own maintenance but I'm afraid I'll screw something up and it will cost me more money in the long run.
My recent experience with non-ARC purchased tubes... I bought a used REF110 last summer. I then ordered a matched "octet" from Upscale Audio which I, foolishly, put aside in storage until I chose to retube in February. Well, the octet was not well matched at all, and Upscale Audio has a 7 day return policy and offered no understanding. I'm OK with that as they have their policy online and I was the one who never thought for a moment the "octet" should be verified.

I ordered more tubes from Upscale and then I really messed up. I'm pretty careful but, just as I was finishing the bias proceedure, I dropped my voltmeter probe on the circuit board and shorted a pair of resistors. I sent the amp to ARC and they fixed it for a modest sum, and they even upgraded a number of parts for free.

So, I get the amp back and ARC found one of the tubes I provided (the ones from Upscale) to be way out of spec so they sold me one to match. So I get the amp started back up and an hour later a tube blows, taking another resistor with it. So I check the box from Upscale, order another one telling them the specs they originally put on the box, and the tube they sent doesn't come close to matching. (I had the local ARC dealer perform the repair this time so I didn't have to send the amp all the way to ARC.)

So I called ARC and ordered 3 6550s to match the one they provided with the original repair. I can't say I won't consider other tube vendors in the future, but I sure won't buy from Upscale again.

The tech at ARC might have been blowing some smoke but he said careful matching (at the loads seen in the amp) is essential for the ultimate in resolution and imaging. I can't speak to this, but with all the marketing hoo-hah in the audio industry, this at least makes some sense to me.

I guess for me there is at least confidence in knowing ARC tubes are tested to their standards, not some arbitrary test point chosen by another vendor. My REF110 runs at 65mV, Upscale tests at around 53. I'm not an electronics guy, but it makes sense testing at the same loads as the tubes will be running at.
One more data point(FWIW):

I've re-tubed my VT130SE with ARC tubes and my Prima Luna 7 monos with KT88s, Kt66s, and EL34s from Upscale. Zero issues across the board. IME, both are excellent sources for re-tubing.

Marty
If you needed a catalytic converter on your 5 year old Porsche, would you get the parts from Porsche, or would you find the cheaper parts made for Porsche?