Has anyone compared Emotiva amps to high end amps?

I was using an Aragon 8008BB and 8008x3B for a 5.1 system. The speakers are 95dB efficient. On a lark I purchased an Emotiva XPA-5. The ridiculously low price and 30 day return period was just too tempting.

To say that I was surprised by the sound quality is an understatement. This amp handily outperformed my Aragons with both my HT speakers and a set of Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers.

I am thinking about replacing the Aragon 8008BB that I am using along with a Crown K-2 that I use for the second voice coil with the Gallos. I would either keep the crown and go with a pair of XPA-1 amps or use an XPA-2. The other option is an XPA-5 instead of using 2 amps.

Has anyone compared these amps with the more upscale amps such as Theta, Simaudio, Halcro, etc? I'm wondering if the Emotiva amps are already approaching the diminishing returns point or if the other amps are a quantum leap in sound quality?
dave_newman
Just a follow-up. I went ahead and picked up the Emotiva XPA-2 and it is definately a step up over the UPA-2, which is no slouch itself. I've had Krells, Levinsons, Lamms and other big amps and this Emotiva amp holds it's own. Very dynamic, powerful deep tight bass and effortless and focused soundstage.
Bob,
I was thinking of picking one up to go with the new UMC processor i'm getting. Is it worth the $450 for the upgrade? My speakers are 94 db efficient. Only for ht duty.
Streetdaddy - I'm really impressed with the amp and think even with the more efficient speakers you would hear a nice improvement. A friend of mine, who is quite knowledgeable about audio, said once that it never hurts to have more power. I like the extra headroom I'm getting now with the added power (the Dynaudios are 4 ohms so the amp is putting out 500 watts per channel).
The XPA-2 amp has one major achilles heel if your thinking of using them as Bridge-mono- blocs. Emotiva Audio will tell you upfront it does not like to see a 2 ohm load. If you own low impedance speakers (4ohm -86db) or lower, the amp will go into protection mode if you crank it up loud. I owned two XPA-2's and this happen to me almost every time I turn the volume up to loud (but not ear bleeding.) I felt that a big amp this size should be able to play real loud without shutting down. One XPA-2 did not sound as good as two XPA-2's in bridge-mono in my 2 channel system. The XPA-2 is a very good amp, and tramendous value if your speakers don't drop to a 2ohm load. I guess that's why Emotiva make a XPA-1 mono-bloc. BTW I replaced the TWO XPA-2's with a modded dual-mono Adcom GFA-555MK11 that laughs at a 2ohm load and sounds great. You can't kill this amp, it won't die.
Jejaudio - my speakers are the Dynaudio Audience 82 (rated at 87db, 4 ohms) and the XPA-2 drives them with ease; have never had any issues. I had a Adcom GFA-555 years ago and can't believe it would outdo a XPA-2.