Amp for Gallo Ref 3.1 and Modwright swl 9.0se?

Speakers: Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1
Preamp: Modwright swl 9.0se

Budget for amp: Under $1500

Source: CD & Ipod (DAC coming soon)

Music: jazz, 60's psychedelic, drone, metal, hip-hop, ambient and electronic played quiet and loud

I'm very curious about class D, but ultimately want the best pairing. I understand the gallo 3.1's need heavy current.

Thanks.
mmrump
I run the Wyred 4 Sound 250WPC amp, class D, and it sounds great with my 3.1s. No complaints here, a much better match than a pair of Cary Six Pacs for me (these were sloppy in the bass)

Given my experience, I do agree that you want some current to drive the bass driver cleanly

Good luck finding the right amp, I don't think these speakers are too picky.
I had a Wyred 4 Sound ST-1000 500WPC amp with my 3.1's and it was way more than needed, I think the 250 would be plenty of power for them. The sound was excellent and the price fits your budget. I am currently running a Clayton 50WPC Class A amp which gives me everything I need and have heard them sound glorious with a 20 WPC 300B but your going to need some juice to play the music you like loud.

I have not heard the Modwright/Wyred 4 Sound combination. My preamp was a Cary98SLP.

If you are patient the Wyred 4 Sound amps are coming up used pretty regularly now. I paid $1,500.00 for my ST-1000.
I am running a Music Reference RM-200II, which is over your price, to very good results. Roger Modjeski was running a special for his RM-10 tube amp for $1,450.00, regular $1,950.00 That included shipping. He says that is his favorite amplifier. It is 35 watts per channel. I do not know if he is still running that special, but you may want to contact him and find out.
Great suggestions. From reading the forums, it seems class D or tube are the way to go. I was trying to avoid tube amps due to the maintenance factor and that I sometimes play music loud. My thinking was the Modwright would bring warmth to the system, even with a class D amp in place. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Also - has anyone tried Channel Island amps? I'm looking at the D-200.

Thanks!
OK - I've narrowed my option to the amps below. Any advice, pro's, cons, weaknesses etc...?

Wyred 4 Sound st-500
McCormack DNA-250
Channel Island D-200