Berning ZH-270 Replacement

Hi

I would value suggestions from anyone who has listened to the David Berning ZH-270 complete with the upgrades and who can advise on what integrateds if any they have heard that better it.

I am running Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage speakers with a subwoofer.

Advice and recommendations welcome

Thanks
Barry
bpinder
With the exception of a small input DC blocking cap, the ZH-270 is DC coupled, so how is this possible with a output transformer ?? I tell you how, it's not !!
We've gone down this road time and time again, it's obvious it's beyond comprehension for most, but an OTL it is.

A person has the tendency to believe what they can understand and doubt what they don't and since this is a highly technical piece beyond anything ever made in audio, it leaves a lot of open endness for somewhat misguided debate.

And as always listen and compare for yourself, not everything is for everyone.
I second Sbank's response. The ZH 270 benefits from a good preamp. I use a ZH 270 in a second (Summer) system with a FS pre and the sound is terrific. I use Joule amp (vzn 100) and Joule pre in the Winter when heat is not a factor. The Berning/FS combination comes close IMHO. I do not think you will find the ZH 270's performance in SS gear - mine replaced a Rowland Concentra II integrated and as much as I liked the Rowland the Berning was so much more involving. The Berning can also benefit from some tube rolling. I recently inserted some Telefunkens and the mids and highs improved - more open and extended.
Hi

Many thanks for all those who have responded so far, some very valuable feedback for which I am grateful.

I would however appreciate if this thread does not continue to get off track into a debate about if the Berning is or is not an OTL design, that is not the question I asked or even remotely wish to have debated.

I would like to get back on track and hear of peoples experiences with the Berning and other integrateds they may have heard/tried and consider recommendations opinions on sonic abilities etc of them all.

Thanks
FF
You're correct Bpinder.

One need only search the archives to find Ralph's detailed and comprehensive explanation concerning the Berning and why it is not a true OTL.

Or email him directly.
Bpinder, just a FWIW, This topic comes up again and again, and every time I wind up with a bunch of messages about the thread in my email box. I try not to respond unless there is just plain and simply misleading or outright false 'information'. That will cause a response, simply to set things straight.

In this case, my company was mentioned specifically in conjunction with false statements about our products.