Used Tube Preamp Suggestions

Looking for suggestions on a used ( because the budget is under 1K, and preferably in the 600-800 range ) tube preamp to match with my new tube amp. I don't use a phono stage, just a line, so a strong phono stage would only be good for possible re-sale. I'm a little concerned about buying something "vintage" and not getting the time in down the road. I'm leaning towards an Audio Research SP9 mkII or a Rogue Perseus which I read a review it was noisy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Rich
rcme53
Audio Electronics ae-3 mkii tube preamp cary audio.
Currently for sale in agon at $800.
My tube friend suggested this preamp for me, but I went for something that has an onboard phono. I am not sure whether it was better to go for this and a separate phono.
I'm liking the Audio Electronics ae-3 mkii preamp, like the looks, the reviews and the Cary association, if I can get the price. Thanks for that answer and suggestion. After that move what do you suggest for a CD player to upgrade the very old Sony I have, also keeping $ down.
That's quite a list of great suggestions. You can't go wrong with any of them. I'll throw in my recommendation for an AE-3 DJH. This is the previous version of the MkII. They come up in the classifieds frequently for $750-800.
Thanks for all the responses, I decided on a Cary AE3 mkll, that should be here in a couple of days. Rich