Integrateds: Warm sounding SS vs Hybrid

I have recently had Bryston B60 and Unison Unico amps. They each had their strengths. Overall I liked the Unico better, its more forward, fuller sound and a wider soundstage, due to its tube preamp. However, I wasn't enamored with the tube hiss I was getting, I realize that there might have been a problem with the amp, but I have read about others having this problem. With no music playing, or very quiet passages in classical music, the hiss could be heard from the listening position6-8 feet away.

I have read reviews of some SS amps where their sound is described as "tube-like".

My questions are:

1) Has anyone who had owned tubed gear heard a SS integrated that sounds like tubes?

2) Was my experience with Unison tube hiss likely due to faulty gear/tubes, etc?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
sandman012

The Audio Refinement Complete is often described in reviews as sounding tube-like. There is one for sale on Audiogon at this moment.
Hi sandman012,

1) Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 - http://www.redwineaudio.com/Signature_30.2.html

My favorite amp in the last 5 to 10 years

2) Try swapping the tubes

Good luck,

Jeff
I completely agree with Elevick. If you want tube like sound in SS your best bet is pure class A components.
Second the Portal Panache , and also Plinius - have the 800 not 9200 but still very good.

Very good tube integrated (to my ears) at reasonable prices Soundquest SQ88 and Consonnance Cyber 100 Signature , especially with reasonably priced NOS tubes
Hi,

"1) Has anyone who had owned tubed gear heard a SS integrated that sounds like tubes?"

Yes, the Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 or 70.2 are the closest to tubes that your going to get from a solid-state piece. Another warm/tubey sounding solid-state piece is the First Watt F-3, but only puts out 10-15 watts.

"2) Was my experience with Unison tube hiss likely due to faulty gear/tubes, etc?"

It could have been the gain structure of the piece. A high gain structure can sometimes give you a hiss. What is the gain specs of the integrated in question? Does it have 25db to 35 db of gain?