audiphile power cords

Do upgraded power cords really make a significant difference in sound quality? I have a Jolida 502p that I think sounds pretty good. What do you recommend for a power cord that would make a significant improvement?
al2214

Audiolabyrinth, if you are referring to your Tara Labs Cobalt, I think you are confused. It uses 60 runs of a smaller wire to make 10 AWG, not 60 runs of 10 AWG. It would be impossible to terminate 60 runs of 10 AWG to the Cobalt's connectors. Also, it would be much larger and extremely difficult to bend, and as Atmasphere stated, required by law to be flexible.
If a simple power cords can improve the quality of sound to the extent that it warrants its exorbitant price tag, why would you not (as a designer and seller of amplifiers) sell your amplifier straight out of the box with such a power cord.

The problem is that there is a very good chance that the power cord will be dumped in favor of another. This is why we have always had IEC connections on our products, so it is possible to audition power cords. FWIW, on our MA-2 we actually have 2 separate AC circuits, using 2 power cords. This was done to minimize the effects of the AC wiring both inside and outside the amplifier. That feature was designed into the amp in 1990.

The power cord is never being used as a filter BTW. I can only describe that idea as mythology.

Regarding the readings that Shunyata had in that article, I think it would be very interesting to test some common cords on there, like certain models of Belden. I think that heavy gauge is usually a good place to start- install some decent connectors and you are usually well on your way. However if you think about it, just doing that and selling it at a normal markup will result in a power cord that costs at least $150.00- maybe more like $200...
The problem is that there is a very good chance that the power cord will be dumped in favor of another.
Wow, I really did not expect that as a response. In that case why supply a power cord at all with the amp? Speaker don’t come with speaker cables. Heck, why supply tubes, those will most likely be dumped too.

Regarding the mark up, I did some research and in general I would agree, it would be difficult put together a cable for less than $100. However, there are medical grade power cords available for about 20 to 25$ from brands such as Volex or Qualtek. However, they are only available in 14AWG to 18AWG with 15amp IEC connectors. 12AWG comes with 20amp connector. So for most audio components to you would be stuck with 14AWG. So it would appear that cables such as the Venom 3 probably do over a good value.
06-06-14: Atmasphere
Regarding the readings that Shunyata had in that article, I think it would be very interesting to test some common cords on there, like certain models of Belden. I think that heavy gauge is usually a good place to start- install some decent connectors and you are usually well on your way. However if you think about it, just doing that and selling it at a normal markup will result in a power cord that costs at least $150.00- maybe more like $200...
As a point of reference, Signal Cable offers 10 gauge cords in a six foot length for $83. They also offer a double-shielded 12 gauge cord intended for use with digital components in a six foot length for $124. Shorter lengths are also available, at lower prices. Descriptions are provided here (click the "more info" links).

FWIW, I have used both with excellent results, as have several other members here in whose ears I trust.

Best regards,
-- Al
Bojack, THE 60s??!! Really!! So nothing has changed in 50 years.
Bojack, I bet you were the old guy ahead of me in the 5 items or less checkout writing a personal check for 1 item of Geritol??

There's really no debate, just try it for yourself. Easy enough ...