Krell KCT/FPB-300cx vs. Pass Labs X1/X250.0

I'm looking to upgrade my Pre-Amp./Amp. to one of these two Systems. The Pass Labs models are current and come highly recommended, but there is no local Dealer to demo. I'm well familier with the Krell pair, which I have heard many times, and have been mighty impressed every time.

My SACD/CD Player is Non-Cast, so I will connect via Balanced (XLRs).

Any experiences with this gear into Wilson Audio Speakers?
tusa
Having owned all of these products at some point in time, with the exception of the KCT, I would say the Krell (no surprise) has that iron-fisted bass like no other. Pass is very close, but not the same. The Pass has a slightly more organic character that I have not heard in Krell, but the Krell has better bass.

I own all Pass now. Sometimes I have a hankering for a Krell amp, who knows, maybe I will try another.
Scoutdog

>>>>If you get the KCT/300cx combo make sure to get either the KPS28c cd player or the Evo player with cast (since your already almost there! -- Don't stop) If you go balanced I guarantee you will always wonder about a full cast system (audiophile Disease).

What is it like between using CAST and Balanced interconnect on the Krell CD Players ? Is there a lot of difference to justify the upgrade ?
Hey Carz,
Yes it is worth the upgrade.

Well I do feel you get a better overall sound( not a huge difference) between Cast and Balanced connections.-- You do have to listen for obvious differences between the two but after you realize what is different -- you find it is for the better. Note: I have never used really expensive balanced connections ($$1,000's of dollar interconnects) -- I guess it could sound just as good as CAST......but

Off-Track a little but...
I recently listened to a EVO 505 CD player through my system (KCT, evo302/or FBP 200c and LAT 2 speakers) and it sounded "MUCH" better than my KPS28c (Like it should), both CAST and Balanced and I even used single ended -- matter of fact it sounded better than anything I have ever heard using the CAST. The overall sound was more complete (if thats possible) - better audio balance overall (bass to highs)and detail (tightness and clarity)and you get really out of this world SACD playback. I will eventually get me one of these players. I think CAST especially the refined EVO series (Preamps, Players, and amps)is a worthy investment if you have the other Krell electronics (You are there CARZ - I imagine (know) your system sounds fantastic with balanced connections but cast will give you a little improvement - justifiable).
I'll be the first to admit -- Sometimes when I am using my older KSA-100s/or even my 200c with my setup and use balanced connections I forget I have the amp in my system until I visually look and go oh yea KSA-100s or fbp-200C -- so go figure -- I guess good electronics is good electronics! I tell myself "it still sounds great" until I get that blood vessel in my forehead pumping and start comparing the sound and CAST seems to win everytime!
(I will be looking at the EVO preamps because of your info)

I do feel the EVO gear is a big step above the KPS and FBP series of gear -- I will eventually move toward a all evo system (getting the bug after 6 yrs) but once your at this system level I think the speakers are the Key. My speakers are great (really good - don't plan on replacing them anytime soon they work for my space) but they do not compete with the big stand alones at moving air and sheer chest pounding clear integrated impact, so if you have a Krell CAST System you won't be worried about the electronic connections anymore and can concentrate on some really good speakers whether their Great bookshelf speakers or full Range move some air articulate stand alones (In your case you are already there).

Note: You can hook up a Krell CAST CD player and also hook up the same player with Balanced connections and switch between the two to really get a good bead on the differences (If you can notice)-- without ever having to get up and that is how I decided CAST was better.

Hey CARZ -- I would like your take on the (if you go CAST) difference between your big EVO amps and the new s series of amps (balanced connection) -- (I saw and heard the s-150's monos and the s-275 stereo amps in Dallas - They of course sounded great -- like you have stated in a previous post - very accurate info) I think with all the top of the line eletronics you have -- you would have a better Idea (Newer Killer Krell Gear) of comparision than me -- Make the jump -- your already on top so go on over get that extra 10% or more betterment of audio sound -- Thats what makes us all crazy audio Men!
on a lighter note -- Well Carz -- if you make the jump -- your finished! there is nothing left out there to beat - you have everything so retire for a little while and let us catch up to you!!! so relax, smile (huge gratifying smile)and enjoy -- until the next guy comes up with something a whole lot better and I don't see that happening in the very near future.
I appreciate the info you provide on your system -- thats why I like this forum -- good straight forward info without hacking anybody and it seems lately people have some great systems out there using some form of Krell electronics and are communicating their experiences very well (good or bad)-- good info!.
Thanks for asking -- Yea a little wordy I'am a wordy Man -- but OK...
scoutdog