Tube integrated amps

HI,

Don't know anything about tube integrated amps but want to learn.

Where are some good resources?

Want to give one a try in a second system that has Dynaudio 1.3SE speakers. Don't want to spend more than 2300 used or 4K new.
nycjdc
I have owned the Ayre Ax-7e and for $2K used it is everything and more that you could want, a highly resolved and natural sound...great soundstage and depth. A really nice amp, but for me the lack of tubes also meant a lack of inner resolution, note decay,...those little aspects that make your sound seem real (IMHO)
That being said, if you really want tubes in the chain;..I'd look into the Bat (300x?); tube pre & solid state.
The Prima Luna gets good press & will easily sell, if it didn't suite your taste. The VTL may not have the gas, based on what I've read on them, but I've never heard it.
I've used a Rogue Tempest II to drive a set of Paradigm 100's that have a somewhat scary impedance curve and it really did fine, even in triode (~40 watts).

The curve for those Dynaudios is beautifully benign, so if you're after the tube vibe (me too!), then I'll bet you have no problems with most any tube amp that makes 30 or more watts. Add more, of course, if you have a big room and want to peel the paint from the walls.

Biasing the Rogue takes me 30 seconds once the lid's flipped as it has a built-in meter. Heck, it's even kind of fun.
I'm driving Dahlquist DQ-20's in a medium sized room with a CJ CAV-50 (45 watts/per). I believe the DQ-20's are rated ~86 db (not sure of the if they are 4 ohm nominal). They get plenty loud for me.
This is not just a question of loudness and an amp may sound fine to you with a particular speaker till you hear the same speaker with an amp that is better matched and you suddenly realize what was missing - usually in termso f top to bottom balance. Tubes should be fine if the impedance cureve is smooth, which Dynaudio claims it is, but at 86db you will occassionaly feel you are running out of juice with 30 watts IMHO, I think you would be better served with someting around 60 watts to hit 105db peak transients.
I get what you mean Pubul57. Somebody who's heard them at their full potential will probably be able to find out if the balance isn't quite right. The loudness factor isn't everything, true. But is there any way to determine, by a listening test, if the top to bottom balance is good or less than that, for someone who hasn't heard the same speakers with more powerful amps ?