Tube amps and speaker ohms

In your opinion , do push pull amps work better with 8 ohms or 4 ohms. .I am under the impression the lower the ohms, the more power is demanded from the amp....Another question, are there low powered SET amps ,and high power SET amps?
I'm looking at a 40 watt 845 tube amp for my 8 ohm, 89 db speaker.. just cked the Thor has a 86 db W18 midwoofers(2 per cabinet) and a 88 db tweeter. Will an 845 amp rated 40 watts be able to drive the 86/88 db speaker? With authority, bass, mids, highs, in dynamic sound stage? Synergy? Or poor match?
bartokfan
Yeah but can they produce a musical image equal or similar as does 2 tube amp labs that i have in mind. Its all about who can get closest to the high fidelity musical image. Audiofeil feels since i know nothing of the tech side and so suffer from deafness. 30 yrs audio critque and now I am deaf.
Dear paul: The statement is totally accurate, it is not talking about " speaker has a benign impedance curve across the frequency range. " like you state.

regards and enjoy the music.
raul.
Paul , ss amps may be the "ideal" for demanding speakers, but since I do not care for ss amps, I look for certain tube amps that can carry a relatively heavy load. I agree stats/panels/ribbons need ss current for optimum response. Vandersteens need good ss power as well, at least hios larger models. TRhe point of the topic was to ask the GENERALIZED question that tube amps prefer 8 ohm speakers(though even 8 ohm speakers can dip to 4 ohms on huge orchestral challenges). I think the consensus agreed, though some here want to split hairs and bring up their special agenda and objections. Which is fine. I'm staying with 8 ohms, and thats that.
+++ but since I do not care for ss amps +++

That is sad. The failure you mention your experienced with your tube equipment would not occur had you been using solid state.

I own (and have owned) solid-state amplifiers that are extremely musical and will work on most speakers.

++ I look for certain tube amps that can carry a relatively heavy load +++

These tube amps are not the best sounding tube amps and more often than not, cannot compete musically with good transistor amplifiers.

+++ though even 8 ohm speakers can dip to 4 ohms on huge orchestral challenges+++

Musical genre does not influence speaker impedance. If speakers dip to 4 ohm on Orchestra, they will dip to 4 ohm on every genre of music known to man.

Speakers rated at 8 ohm that dip as low as 4ohm are not suited to for tube amplification if quality reproduction is a requirement.

+++ TRhe point of the topic was to ask the GENERALIZED question that tube amps prefer 8 ohm speakers +++

No it wasn’t. You asked a myriad of questions but not what you state here.

+++ Which is fine. I'm staying with 8 ohms, and thats that.+++

I don’t believe anybody told you not to purchase an 8ohm speaker. Most posters indicated that there are other factors you need to consider also.

Fact is, most of the posters here have system that can do orchestra. By your own admission, your system cannot – and you do have 8ohm speakers already.

Regards
Paul
Raul, I am not going to argue with you, mainly because I do not quite understand your comment. I think this is mostly due to the fact that neither you nor I have English as our mother tongue.

Transistor amplifier have lower output impedances and are therefore much more suitable for the majority (99%) of modern speakers. They can easily maintain a constant voltage against a speaker load where a tube amp will struggle. In the perfect world, vacuum tube amplifier should have speakers rated at 64ohm/128ohm and higher to do so. Hopefully one day I can get somebody to build me speakers like that to fully optimize my tube amplifiers.

I also believe almost all vacuum tube amplifiers are used against speakers where they do not perform well – Bartokfan is a good example of this.

However, you are incorrect if you say vacuum tube amplifiers cannot maintain a constant voltage against a loudspeaker. It is simply a more difficult to achieve.

You are welcome to disagree and I know and respect your view on transistor vs. vacuum tube.

Regards
Paul