while waiting on a preamp for my DEFY 7/6550's

The pre will arrive in 2 weeks. So i decided to pull 4 of the 6550's in the Defy and swap out the KT90's in the JOR. Man I sure hope the Defy does not sound like the JOR with 6550's. Because if it does I'm not going to like the Defy with 6550's for my classical. Way too tubey and bloated, all the fine definition and sparkle from the KT90's was gone. I guess I'm going to need to buy ...12 Czech KT90's. Gonna cost me a bundle. Any suggestions?
bartokfan
can anyone put me in touch with a dealer for the high quality czech KT90 tubes? Gabriel wants an 'arm and a leg" price.
Sorry Bartokfan, but Ei made the only KT-90 worth troubling with and as you well know they are no longer running. The Jim McShane modded, vintage HK Citation amp owners snarfed up the rest (check with Jim McShane Google him). The current KT-90 is supposedly really poor. My very strong suggestion is to have it checked for Mods. Many Jadis have been modded into sonic torture machines, unless you bought it new and that is well....that. Otherwise have it rewired for EL-34s and live happily ever after. I have heard the difference the after is glorious.
Interesting. No wonder I do not see any EI KT90's for sale. The Ei KT90's in the JOR do well with orch and any other music for that matter. I'm still hoping Pierre has some laying around. I see the EL34's tube is shaped like the KT90 and as you suggest this may be my best option, my only option. I hope the local tech guy here in BR can bias it to the EL34's. I'd hate to ship the 135 lb amp. The 6550's made the JOR sound like "most other" tube amps. A sound I could not live with. I doubt if any bias would make substansive improvement. I hate anything "warm and fluffy" in a tube amp.
If you hate 6550's compared to KT90's you're really going to hate EL34's. Compared to 6550's they are a warmer, 'mid-range magic' tube. Sounds nothing like the KT90 or 6550. Beleive it or not the 6550 (SED's anyway) is much closer to the KT90 and any of the other popular power tubes. Better do your homework before you jump off that bridge.