The final Act in a study in preamps the ART 3

Tom Cruise is rescuing a female agent he trained in Mission Impossible 3. He finds her alive but weak . He needs her to jump up and save the world with him so he shoots her in the chest with a jolt of adrenaline . She was alive technically but now she instantly becomes superwoman..... for while anyway. Thus goes the saga of my latest personal occupation . The study of a few remarkable preamps.

I did an "impression" of the CJ Act 2. I then did a follow-up on the replacement , the Act 2.2. The 2.2 was the superwoman injected with the adrenaline to be sure. It certainly was capable of conquering the world with Tom but alas, the story takes another Hollywood twist : Enter the Conrad Johnson ART 3 .

This again is an impression piece and this starts a series of posts dedicated to resolving this work of ...." Art".

There will only be 25 made , half are already sold and at 25k , doesn't fit into many audiophiles budgets. I am lucky to be without kids , with an incredibly understanding wife and have the time, passion and patience to address this study competently. It has about 50 hours on it , hardly enough to press a key but what needs too be stated are a few obvious differences between the Act and Art series of valve preamps from Lew and Bill.

The system it is being evaluated in is as follows. Aerial 20 T main speakers , 2 Aerial SW 12 subs , Conrad Johnson LP 140 Monoblocs , APL Hi Fi NWO 2.5 Universal player , Kubala Sosna Emotion cables . Sound Application RLS conditioners , Sistrum stands.

The Art starts deeper in the Yin region initially than either Act siblings. The Acts ability to settle comfortably inside itself is really interesting to watch... or listen to. The Act fidgets around moving up towards neutral as it fleshes out its unique sonic character and strengths . Then it emboldens the midrange blooming luxuriously as the Teflon caps mature into something that draws you inside its world of color and speed. This phenomenon seems to settle it back into the yin where the midrange takes you ... " body and soul . " It never however loses its grip on transparency , immediacy , leading edge definition and ambience retrieval. The 2.2 however continues the evolution and struts its sonic wardrobe in unimaginable directions and leaves you passionately involved with your beloved music library.This is the moment we wait for : the connection to the music that literally moves you and keeps you glued to your seat for hours on end. It is simply what CJ is famous for. Whether I regret losing the 2.2 over the ART 3 will remain to be seen as the Act 2.2 was the best sounding preamp I have ever encountered by a wide margin . We will also see if the adrenaline pumping superwoman will be overcome by this intimidating newcomer that is threatening to bump her from Toms side . This will be interesting indeed . Stay tuned for progressive follow-ups to the final chapter in a 3 part series of preamplifiers from one of the most beloved audio companies ever formed . Conrad Johnson.

Brent Rainwater
brainwater
Hi Downunder. I know your feelings regarding the Act 2 and Ct5 , we have conversed before in private . I also respect you and your experiences with CJ.
I personally feel that that direction was a needed evolution and brought clarity and detail to the table. I also like the 6h30 and what it brought to the table. The balance however was a tricky one and the Act 2 was not successful at bridging the gap. The Ct5 was a move in the right direction as it brought dynamics and a solidity to the lower midrange and is a superior " best buy " IMO. The Act 2.2 however was a milestone achievement and is a musical , involving instrument of reproduction . Had I not heard the ART 3, I would have ended my quest there. I could never have imagined that the ART 3 would be this good .
Downunder , I wanted to expand on my comments above. I personally feel the direction is a positive one for specific reasons . The added clarity and resolution was an important step in the right direction IMO. The use of teflon caps and new topologies of the new CJ gear allows us to dig deeper into the music . We have all of these fabulous recordings to listen to and they are full of detail that must be dredged up to be appreciated. To lose this ability to see the entire sonic landscape at any expense isnt worth it to me. Fortunately , musical involvement is alive and well in the Act 2.2. The ART 3 strikes the perfect pose of maintaining staggering detail , rich midrange density, and frequency linearity from top to bottom . Add to this the ability to spotlight the minute color shadings of the instrumental timbre . This cannot be deleniated without this added resolution and cleaning of the sonic window. The trick is the balance.
Conclusion and final thoughts.

I rotated discs from my Redbook , SACD as well as DVD A collection .Initially I treated my system with the Purist Audio Design , System Enhancer Rev-B disc . Discs used in this evaluation were as follows:

1: Best of Mickey Hart . DVD A
2: Dead Can Dance . Spiritchaser both for percussion . Redbook
3:Rachmaninoff . Eiji Oue . Vocalise . Minnesota Orchestra Reference Recordings . HDCD
4:Copland . Eiji Oue . Fanfare for the Common Man . Minnesota Orchestra Reference Recordings . HDCD
5:Diana Krall . Steppin Out . Redbook
6:Al Dimeola . Flesh on Flesh . SACD
7:Patricia Barber. Live a Forthnight in France . Redbook
8:Kraftwerk . Tour de France . Electronica . Redbook

Passing 500 hours of break in I sensed a complete picture coming together. The attribute I admired most of this preamp was its grip on its own purpose. It began as an unassuming yet exuded its presence of direction from the opening note. It slowly blossomed in all directions starting at the center of the frequency response: the glorious midrange . This is what many buy Conrad Johnson products for and this is their ultimate statement on the subject . From this perspective , I would have been completely satisfied if it offered nothing more . I knew better as I had experience with the Teflon caps .

The top opened up and painted a crystal clear window that excelled in lighting the back of the recording. This attribute of gear is fast becoming a critical necessity to my own listening preferences. Cables can choke this off so never neglect proper cabling.
Diana Kralls Steppin out is a favorite of mine as well as Pat Barbers Live in France in this regard. To hear this phenomenon come to life before your eyes is to understand one of the sonic roots of our obsession we share.

Bass response is one of the most difficult areas to accurately reproduce in a system. So many factors can contribute to its effect that to ascertain the role of a particular component is most difficult. I used Kraftwerks Tour de France to get a handle on its low bass support but ended up with Al Dimeola as the final barometer. The articulation of upper bass notes as they pass to lower midrange is where I was able to discover the nuances and shadings this preamp was capable of. Clear clean and fast yet possessing weight and density , bass and lower midrange percussive notes stood out from one another in its own space which left you with the ability to follow whatever note you wanted within the soundscape with surprising ease .

Finally , its all about the music . Music can be alluring in that you feel a part of something larger than a song. You want to move and groove and share it with others . You want to sit forever and never leave your listening chair. Music can also be a portrait. It can be the most perfect arrangement of notes with dynamic contrasts, lightning leading edge transient notes and crystal clear top end extension . It can even be made to measure almost perfectly . The difference is that one is musically rewarding and makes you forget about the electronics. The other is beautiful , seemingly perfect yet the connection with your soul is somehow lost. This preamp grips you and draws you inside the music .

This preamp is the kind of product that can define a company . The Conrad Johnson ART 3 should certainly hammer its legend in stone for decades to come .

This review was a labor of love for me. I am so fortunate to be able to have had this unique opportunity to share my journey with some of you .

Hi Brainwater

How is the cj ART3 going now??

I have to tell you & Tim if you are viewing that cj is back in my life baby!!.

I just bought a pre luved ART. number 56 in fact (thanks Jimbox) It sounds just wonderful. Music just seems to float in a huge 3d soundstage sounding as natural and unforced as I have ever heard.

AS you know the ACT2 and CT5 did not really float my boat, however I always luved my prem 16 and regretted selling it 3 years ago on my grass is greener over the next hill tour. Sometimes you must look back to move forward.

I have had the ART since Monday and enjoying my music more than ever, which is the point isn't it.

I even feel privilaged to have one of the 250 ART's ever made. In the future if I feel the need or desire I can upgrade to series 2 or heaven forbid series 3.

Yes the ART is truely one of the great pre amps.

Congrats Shane - that is great! The 16LS is the 'baby ART' so its father should take you to just the right spot for your sonic preferences. Now all you need are some nice Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8 or 7308s. :-)

Tim