Sacrilege Going from Tubes back to Solid State

Hello gang,

Well the time may have come. I am getting way over the fuse blowing, bias adjusting and general baybying my Tube Monos are putting me through. I love the sound of my VTL MB 300s that I had VTL upgrade to the new 450 status a few years ago. I love the depth, stage, sweetness and punch they give my Meadowlark Hot Rod Herons. I love the front to rear layering and detail they reveal.
Can anybody recommend a solid state amp or monos that MIGHT give me some of what I love? I am in the $4000.00 range and looking primarily at used product. I use JPS labs Super 2 Speaker and ICs and a modded VTL 2.5 pre with an Ayre CX-7e Digital front end with a Rega P-25 sporting a Dynavector Karat 17 mk II driving a plinius Jarrah Phono stage.
My frustration may be getting the best of me here but I am tired of crossing my fingers when I turn on my stereo!
I have heard good things from Older levinson gear, perhaps newer McIntosh? How about Accuphase? or ARGGGGGGGGGGHH a little help please! Thanks in advance.
128x128meadowman
At your price point, the Rowland Model 6 monos, especially if you can find a pair run from batteries, will beat your VTL's in most systems (no offense intended, but the 450/750/1250 vintage of VTL amps are a bit crude in my opinion). The Model 6/8ti/9ti Rowlands sound like a very good tube amp, but with solid-state qualities. You'd have to go with a darTZeel to beat them in solid-state designs.
Funny, I just got a pair of VTL-450's and I love the way they sound with my Maggie 20.1's. But I've also been keeping my eye on SS amps that I might try someday, just to hear the difference. Current interests include: Edge, McCormack, and McIntosh - maybe someday. I've also heard the Plinius 102 sound really good.
Since you mentioned McIntosh, I can tell you that MC402 is a very pleasant sounding amp with a warm midrange that just sounds "right" and not artificial at all. Bass is plenty deep and well controlled, while some say it's lacking the last bit of impact, to my ears it's very musical and not dry at all. Highs will not be crystalline but very pleasant and naturally extended, no exaggeration in this area either. The 402 throws a soundstage with the best of them both wide and deep but again, no exaggeration here either. This almost sounds like I am describing a tube amp, well the 402 resembles tubes in many ways and is just as easy to listen to. That is what you are looking for, isn't it? Give the 402 a good listen.
Are tubes really that much of a pain in the butt? I am looking into a tubed pre for the first time. I don't mind learning new things or doing a little maintenance from time to time, but I don't want to have to be crossing my fingers every time I power up.

Seriously, are/can tube gear be that much hassle?

Look for a SS amp that specs the ouput stage biased into a healthy dose of Class A.