Quality issues with Tekton speakers....

I was reading all the buzz about these Tekton speakers and after sorting through all the reviews, decided to order a pair of the Pendragon (the big ones... $2,500 a pair).

When they arrived, I found them to be boxed well and in perfect shape, although one thing was very noticeable once I looked at the speakers. The woofers had a slightly different tone (color). The upper woofer in each tower was basically dark gray or black (like most paper woofers you might come across) and the lower woofers were slightly blue in color. After looking on the web some, I could not find a Pendragon speaker photo ANYWHERE that had this color difference. Since they did not come with speaker grilles, I knew the color difference would bother me as long as I owned the speakers.

I contacted Tekton (Eric Alexander) via e-mail and explained the issue. After almost a week of not hearing back, I sent another e-mail and his response was...

(copy and pasted right from my e-mail)... " I'm sorry. Please refresh my memory. What seems to be the problem? Thanks, Eric"

I described the issue again and he offered to exchange the speakers. I said there was no need to ship back a huge pair of 85 pound speakers and have him send me another pair and suggested maybe he just send me grilles at no charge to cover the speakers and I could live with the slight color difference in the woofers. I really feel that grilles should be included in a $2,500 price tag however.

All of these e-mails took several days to answer by the way.

He agreed and said he would get the grilles out right away... they were sent a few days later and upon arrival, I realized there was a pretty big problem. I had a normal type speaker grill with 4 pegs on the back and a speaker with no peg holes. After all the time, e-mails, no answers, etc., I was not interested in wasting any more time with the matter and asked for a partial refund through PayPal and asked a simple question... why send me grilles for a speaker that he just shipped to me with no holes to put them in? His reply was to offer to make new grilles and send "velcro dots" to affix them to the speakers with.... WOW.

The WORST part about all this: Within 30 minutes of making a PayPal claim about the issue and asking for a partial refund from him, Eric tried to call me right away... now that there was money at stake.

The really sad part of all this is that the speakers actually sound pretty damn good now that they are broken in... I just hope the quality and communication come up to the same level for the sake of Tekton as a company.
128x128audiofreak32
Protip: with Eric, best to pick up a phone and call the guy. Do folks still do that? emails are iffy.
Roxy, that's exactly what I meant. Selling products to people with obsessive compulsive personality disorder (pretty much all of us here) must be a total nightmare. I remember getting some tubes that I thought (incorrectly) were microphonic and gave the guy an absolute serving via email. He was like, "Jesus dude, relax, I'll send you some new ones."
Sebrof, so easy to say when it's not your money or speakers. If an ID brand wants to believe they can hang with the big boys then they need to pay attention so they don't get slapped around on public forums.
Why should he have to pick up where tekton left off? The fact that the woofers came mismatched is bush league at best. I think many on here are quick to point out that he got good sound for the money and the cosmetic issue is a minor oversight by the manufacterer. What a load of shite. Who would put up with the this from Wilson or magico? There is an obvious problem with QC and it needs to be pointed out. Christ two out of two posters who have said they own or have owned tekton speakers have had problems with the cosmetics of these speakers. If tekton cannot deliver what is promised then they will fall to the wayside as they should. Nuff said. This is not a gray issue where words like cooperative and flexible apply. Its black and white right or wrong. Anyone who sides with the manugacturer on this is dillusional.
I had a simular issue with the UPGRADE COMPANY. .. and to this day will never have anything good to say about them......
You paid for a perfect product and did not receive it but now I believe your relationship with them is over....sucks but your letting people know that a couple hundred dollars isnt the point and I agree...
Dont let some of these seasoned veterans get you ruffled as some of us take them with a grain of salt. ...no offense boys!!!
Hope you get satisfied