I got the USB DAC per everyone's sugguestion BUT..

Oh well, I got the V-Dac..., but am returning it. There's a limitation on most of these DACs out there that they will only take a max of 16bit 48khz sample rate through USB. It is definitely the case for this V-DAC. I also called Emotiva and they said the USB will limit the bit depth no matter what brand I use because most high-end DACs don't have a 3rd party driver. I tried to stream a Vinyl rip at 24bit 192hkz with the V-DAC and it wouldn't play no matter what. I also tried without the USB Cable, using "pass through" from on board sound to the DAC through a coaxial cable. but was unable to get any sound. Any of you ever gotten a DAC to operate at 24/192 under Windows 7?

Thanks.
Ag insider logo xs@2xangelgz2
Nuforce Icon HDP

http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconhdp/index.php

Will do 24/96 using stock Windows drivers, and up to 24/192 with S/PDIF, optical. Cost around $450
I see. Thanks for all your suggestion. All the brand names mentioned here, did you guys actually tried it and confirmed that it will work at 24/96 in Windows 7?

Anyways, after weeks of trying, I finally got the V-DAC to work at 24/192. These are my findings:

USB -- limited to 16/48, doesn't matter if you have USB 1.1 or USB 2.0
Optical S/PDIF -- limited to 24/96, it won't pick up any signal beyond that as the green light goes dark....
Coaxial S/PDIF -- to my very surprise, this actually does the magic. Plugged in a good quality Coaxial Cable and ah-ha~ there goes the magical 24/192.

While the M2Tech HiFace is probably a very good solution, it's too expensive for a USB to S/PDIF converter. I just gave up on using this for my laptop and wire it to my desktop that has a good sound card configured as "digital pass through".

I got to say though, damn... this V-DAC REALLY good. It's an unbelievable deal for the price. Too bad it uses a cheap USB chip.
this is odd - I have a Burson HA-160D and it plays 24/192, 24/96 files just fine via the USB output of my Macbook Pro laptop. No third party driver but I am using Decibel for playback and not Itunes.

These are HD files from 2L and LessLoss.
Old thread, probably well known by now, but VDAC II has an improved USB interface built in runs 24/192 very well and reports say it is better than the VDAC. I've been using an inexpensive Musiland Monitor 02US, it runs 24/192 on all inputs including USB, incredible value. I'm going to try to compare it to a VDAC II and/or a Schiit Bifrost in the near future.
The HRT Streamer II and II+ USB DACs do 24/96 at attractive prices. The II is an especially good deal. At a somewhat higher pricer, the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC has gotten a lot of good reviews and it does 24/192 USB input, although the output is limited to more like 24/96 (drops off signficantly in the 40 KHz range). People seem to like the Schiit Bifrost but I have never heard one. I believe it does 24/192 on USB. Not sure where the Bifrost output drops off in frequency. Some people have reported that it is more on the analytic side. THe HRT is more "musical".