Stillpoints and reference-level speakers

Seems logical to assume that the makers of megabuck speakers would use superior footers in their designs. Any experience out there with Stillpoints isolation devices to support the reference-level offerings from Magico, TAD, Rockport, Tidal, and others?
psag
Nvp, When you have a sharp spike, you have many foot pounds per square inch from the weight of the component focused on that point. Mass means great inertia resisting motion. The expectation is that the component will be coupled to the shelf and then ultimately to earth. But that the floor's vibrations will have a hard time inducing vibrations in the component.

But as alway the proof is in the pudding-does it sound better. Brass spikes differ in sound from steel ones, etc. Clearly resonant frequencies of the coupling also matter.

Would you recommend only putting components on cushions? That might be taken as nonsense by some.
"Would you recommend only putting components on cushions?"

Not a bad idea, but only if really high quality high build expensive ones from an audio boutique type company.

Pier One just will not do. :^)

Guys, you are missing the point. The goal of the little experiment above was to illustrate that in order to isolate a component one has to minimize as much as possible couplings. I did not recommended placing speakers on pillows nor did I recommended to isolate them from the floor. I merely suggested a simple experiment that should provide some insight into the physics involved. (This experiment can be done by anyone that is not completely deaf, has a hand with at least one finger and a computer with a fan that is not completely silent, i.e. a significant amount of the audiogoners. How many people here have an accelerometer Agear?)

Regarding the two companies discussed here, I should point out that their philosophy and goals are basically the same. (In fact all top companies in this field tell about the same stories.) Both types of footers discussed here aim at draining out into the floor unwanted vibrations from the component resting on them, i.e. neither is trying to isolate the component. What is different is the way these devices are trying to achieve this. That is, one is increasing coupling to the floor while the other one is attempting to make the flow of energy unidirectional.

About the resonance phenomenon Tbg, any 2 or 3 dimensional structure has characteristic frequencies called normal modes of vibrations (or eigen modes or resonant frequencies). The normal modes of vibrations of a structure represent the frequencies for which the transfer of energies between a structure and a source of vibration is maximum. Now, the normal modes of a structure are determined by the geometry of the structure and the distribution of mass in the structure (i.e. they are specific to each structure). Consequently, when placing a heavy speaker on the floor the resonant frequencies of the floor and also of the speaker will be affected. How significantly the normal modes change will be and which of normal modes will be affected depends on: the type of floor, how heavy the speaker, were you place the speakers in the room, where your room is situated in the building (e.g. ground floor, 1st floor, floor 100). As such, one (i.e. user or manufacturer) cannot know before hand which of these devices will provide the best result. One simply has to try them in his/her system.

I hope I made it clear that I am not saying that one device/approach/company is better than the other one. I also hope it is now clear that I am not trying to provide a solution - there isn't a general one. Like Dr. Lesurf, I have merely tried to provide logical arguments that show why some reviewers, manufacturer, sale persons and audiogoners make silly claims when the say that spikes actually isolate.
Nvp, you are wrong that Stillpoints and Star Sound Tech. use the same technology. The Star Sound Apprentices seek to get vibration within the components to ground quickly. They don't favor the "absorption" which is what Stillpoints employs. With Stillpoints all vertical movement in the devices is converted into horizontal movement and converted into heat. Not surprisingly they sound quite different.

If the Stillpoints are 100% effective, they alone provide isolation. Everything else absorbs somewhat down to its resonant frequency.
Nvp, you are wrong that Stillpoints and Star Sound Tech. use the same technology.

Tbg, please take the time to read and think at what I have written. Philosophy and technology are two very different things. Both products aim at draining out unwanted vibrations from the audio components - that is the common philosophy. The fact that ceramic balls and spikes represent different "technologies" is common sense. Nobody has claimed otherwise. In fact, I have made it very clear in the 2nd paragraph of my previous post that the approach used by the two companies is very different.