Are Rodgers ls3/5a as good as advertise? & Why

I have a pair (#SO2838A & SO2838B)That i bought from a thrift store years ago, Would like to know the value of the ones that i have & The terms "White Belly","Gold Label" Looking for more insight on the Ls3/5a following, Please Post information regarding these speakers, ...Thanks
booboo3131

Booboo3131

They're really just junky old bookshelf speakers - which is why you found them at the thrift shop.

PM me and I can help by taking them off your hands for the price of shipping to me.

cwlondon

ps

Just kidding.

Assuming they are in decent shape, your Rogers speakers were a lucky find, and they are one of the great all time classics, particularly in the midrange and/or at lower to moderate volumes.

Having said that, it is my opinion that like say, Quad ESL 57's, they have an occasionally irrational cult following.

This has led to inflated prices on the used market, where one could arguably buy equal (or better?) performance for comparable or even less dollars and get a new product in the process.

The logic of keeping or selling therefore depends on how much you care about audio, and the elusive and magical midrange and balance of the Rogers LS3/5a

Others may know more but just my 0.02 reflecting on a listening session from 1981 and noting used prices in recent years.

Best regards and happy listening
Value to you or to the open market? This is a very special speaker when paired with the correct electronics. By that I mean a whole lot of stable current. Pillocks have tried running these with 100wpc Pioneer receivers which become mired in sloppy bass, wretched mdirange and finger nails on chalk board highs.

The speaker is meant only for near field listening. Push it hard and it will compress and break up. Cwlondon is correct in assessement of its now inexplicable market value for its decades old technology. Better can be had, but for now just enjoy an inoffensive little legend which was oft the owner's first foray into the world of audiofiledom.