A great DIY line array speaker????

Your prelate is seized with the urge to build a pair of line array speakers for his new room, possibly to replace my current Mezzo Utopias. Advice and opinions are sought.

I am fortunate to have access to a precision cabinet maker who will build virtually anything for me, just for the cost of the raw materials. The room in question will be roughly 18x22x8.5 when complete. Electronics will be all solid state and sources will be digital.

My concern, of course, is that I don't invest a lot of money in nice wood and expensive drivers and crossover components and end up with mediocre sound. I want something better than the Mezzo Utopias but with the added sonic characteristics of a line array design.

So my question to my erudite brethren and sistren on the 'gon is: Has anyone heard a diy line array that was really world class? If so, can you point me to specs, plans, discussion, etc?

Many thanks in advance!

will
bishopwill
Go to partsexpress.com and look at the B&G 72" ribbons. Build it with two "wings" on either side, preferably curved or angled back like a trapazoid, with you favorite wood, and no back to the cabinet. Build a second set of boxes to the same height, a foot or so wide and deep and the 72" height of the drivers. Put four of the new peerless sub drivers in it, or maybe two active drivers and two of the matching passive radiators. Ever see the old Infinity Servo Statik's? That's what your aiming for. but for $2000 instead of $60,000 (probably $100K now if they were still available). I think Genesis had something along these lines. They give you a design for a passive crossover for the B&G's, or perhaps use an active cross over, or maybe just direct connect a tube amp to the B&G, and a solid state amp with an electronic crossover to the Sub towers. Definitely tubes on the ribbons. That's what I am dreaming of doing, but don't have the space or funds at the present!
Tom
I spent a while looking at the gr-research site, which is remarkably uninformative. Has anybody heard them?

will