Girl diagnoses & solves mechanical problem

This may not be news for most of you, but it is a major news flash for me and I just had to brag at my "prowess." I EVEN USED A TORX SCREWDRIVER! I just received my Coincident Triumph Signatures yesterday and was setting them up in my small HT system. I was playing FM radio through them and they sounded OK. I went to work. Last night, I put on a couple of CDs and there was no sparkle or splash, no snap of the electric guitar notes, etc. I put my ear right up next to the tweeters and could swear there was no sound coming out of them. But this was the case w/both speakers! So I couldn't believe I was hearing right, because how could both tweeters have been blown before delivery (I bought from a reputable dealer whom I have dealt with before) or damaged during shipping? I decided to sleep on it (the problem, not the speakers). This morning, before work, I brought my ProAc Response 1SC's up from downstairs, and the guitar notes etc. all sounded right. Something was definitely wrong! I noticed some foam in the port holes in the back of the Coincidents. I tried to pull it out but it was more than just a plug and wouldn't come free. So I went downstairs to my toolbox, got out the torx wrench set my handyman brother had bought me years ago, and got the tweeter fittings unscrewed. I removed them gently (the magnets fell out into my hand) and saw immediately that the tweeters weren't even plugged in!! I reattached the lead wires to the tweeters, in both speakers, and rescrewed in the tweeter housings, and the speakers came to life (DUH!) I am sure this is not newsworthy for most of you, but if there are any other females reading this, you know how impressed I am w/myself. I can well imagine my very nonaudiophile friends and relatives, male and female, happily using these speakers for years w/no tweeters and not even noticing. Or me, several years ago, returning the speakers as damaged. i am so puffed up w/pride in myself that I am even thinking of attempting one of the DIY SET amp kits that are available. I have been eager to try out an SET and maybe I am up to soldering? Of course, I don't want to go overboard. . .
sc53
This thread is both amusing and somewhat desturbing at the same time. Any one who has ever read one of my threads knows that political correctness(or spelling) is not my strongest conviction.I think it that anyone should get satisfaction from solving a problem but won't alot of other women be offended by this? Not that there are that many out there reading this stuff. Is it just that audio is such a "guy" thing? Women fix cars, build homes, hell my wife is damn handy with a cuttin' tourch. You should be proud, but not cuz ya are a girl that did it, but because ya did it. The part I find amusing is the responce from you guys.Wow get a mop to wipe the drool with! I wonder how many e-mail proposals of marrige, not to mention other proposals from audio perverts you got. Fire up the soldering iron and whip up a batch of glowing glass! And when you are done with the amp bring me a beer!
I find this thread a little disturbing. Anyone (male or female) ought to be able to figure out how to unscrew a pair of tweeters. Doesn't take a rocket scientist. I repaired a Tenor amp when it showed up on my doorstep dead on arrival. Pretty easy to do when you take the bottom cover off and find a couple of wires dangling that needed to be reconnected to the power switch. Anyone could have done it.
Sheesh. Maybe we are better off buying Pioneer and Sony. At least that stuff typically works when you take it out of the box. Thanks for the warning about quality control with "hi-end" gear. There apparently is none.

As to Suzy's "been there, done that" type of response, relax. There is more than enough room and attention on these forums for several women audiophiles to join in.

Kudos to both of you for having the guts to get your hands dirty. I know a LOT of men that would have pissed and moaned about the problem but done nothing to correct it themselves. For that, you both deserve a big round of applause. Sean
>
wake up one morning & just know how to do something. Anything, take your pick. Let's start with auto repair, 'cause most everybody here either owns a car or did at one time. When you took your car in to have it fixed, the shop is charging $40.00 to $60.00 an hour & guess what? The mechanic woke up that morning & decided to be a mechanic. Really, that's how it works! I know someone who's very much involved with molecular biology & one day she woke up & decided to be an expert. She just now decided to become an MD & I'll bet when she wakes up in the morning she'll not only be one, but a consummate one at that. All the modern day athletes? You got it, they just woke up one day & Ta Da! Instant success!

Yep, that's how it happens. In the past, well, people just did it the old fashioned way. Let me explain. They learn on their own through trial & error. Or they watched somebody else do it. Nowadays, if you want to do something you've never done before, you just sleep on it & presto! In the morning you've got all the skills necessary, right? No more taking that first step to try something you never have before, right? Yeah, no need to set goals or try something new, because all you have to do is sleep on it.

I don't know about you guys that know how to do everything, or maybe most things, but I remember the days when trying something new was looked forward to. Maybe there was a bit of apprehension but it was exciting. Oh well, too bad. Days gone by, plus no need to worry about it anyway, 'cause anyone can do it if they just sleep on it.