Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Mattnshilp,

Digital cables recommendations below 1k.
- Sablon Audio Panatella
You'll see Tjay, I think, mentioning that it was better than his 2.5k Stealth Sextet which he once loved.
- top of the line Coincident Speaker Technology digital cable, ask them directly, they got some new cables.

Both companies sell directly, so the prices are great to start with.
I have both cables, and chose them after comparing them to Argento Flow, Audioquest Eagle Eye, top of the line Mapleshade, Stealth Varidig, and some others that I forgot. Argento Flow was wonderful as was my premall rounded Audioquest Eagle Eye (beware of fakes that are easier to come buy than the original), Mapleshade was compromised but interesting and well worth it but definitely not worth of your Esoteric K-01, Stealth Varidig I shouldn't even mention, only to put things in perspective. I never heard Stealth Varidig Sextet, though.
I can also recommend Argento Flow and Audioquest Eagle Eye if you can find them cheaply second hand. Again, you probably won't find an original AQ. Mexcel cables should work well with your Esoteric but they won't represent a good value for money compared to Sablon and Coincident.
Matt, re digital cables--I've tried a handful of $1k+ digital cables, and my favorite by far is a 1.5m Transparent Ref XL (xlr version). Pricey but you might find a used one in the price range you mentioned.

This cable has soul :); so much so I want to use my dac's xlr input just so I can use the cable!

Best,

Randy

PS-I'm loving the Romulus Sig; I think it's fully burned in now. I've found out that until a firmware/software is available in the future, it can only play dsd files via its usb input.
Erikminer,

Congrats on your D200, your ProACs need 80 more votes to get a SAM file.

http://voteforsam.devialet.com/
OK. I now have a double hernia, but the K-01 is in the rack. I needed to shift some equipment around and move a shelf to fit it. Wow, what a unit! solid as a brick and heavy as a anvil. I am burning it in from CD in the Guido Corona approved setting. I think he put about 250 hours on it already (I think he read Guido's thread since it was already set to those settings).

ODSE will be ready tomorrow. I had to unplug it for 12 hours because of a bad thunder/lightning storm. Even with the whole house power surge suppressor, I still unplug when those big bright flashy zig zaggy things outside threaten to cook my beloved gear!

No time this week to sit down and listen. it will have to wait until next Wednesday. I'll listen to the ODSE and then give the K-01 a quick listen as a dec as well as pulling out some of the CD sources for my test Play list.

No follow ups from the manufacturers, except for Vitus who said they currently have no SCD-025 in the states available for audition, but are working on it.

G'night all...