Meridian 508.20 or Wadia 830 or Wadia 301????

Hello folks

Well, what to do??

Not heard the Meridian stuff at all, but heard lot's of top Wadia, but not the budget player 830 or 301.

Well, I'm planning to buy a really nice CDP suited for my TAD horn system at a time.

For you who do not know this stuff, I must say that I need a very very snooth sounding CDP analog sound. The sound must be as huge as possebly with good bass respons.

I need no upfront sound or details!!! This is horns!!!

I've seen that some people out there compare Meridian 508.20 with Levinson sound which I like.

Any advise, let me know. Please notice again that sound should be big, maybe a bit bold, smooth smooth and palpable.

thanks for any time you might use on this question.

TADMAN
tadman
Tadman,

I'd look for an old DPA T-1 transport and PDM 2 dac OR an Apogee DA1000E-20 with a Theta Data Basic II transport.

This combos will give you what you're looking for.
If you do decide on the Meridian, definitely go for the 508.24 over the .20. The 24 is the better sounding unit, IMHO.
Hello everybody

So much thanks for your time. I'll go for the recommendation of member Stevecham and go for the best deal. I've decided for Meridian 508.20 or the 24 bit. Or/and Wadia for a good price. Maybe a Theta Basic as well since I've heard the Pearl with Wadia 27ix and that was very convincing IMO.

Thanks a lot, Tadman
I might be chiming in a bit late here, but this is what I'd suggest. Find a Meridian 506.20 which can be picked up used for well under a grand. I listened to quite a few machines and settled on it because of it's ease and warmth. Great detail and air without being etched, bottom end is tight without being overpowering. If you feel like it's too warm, I've read posts at several different forums indicating that upgrading it to 506.24 tones down the warmth and trumps up detail and bass. Just my two cents.

Curious though, if you already picked something up, what did you go for?
Well, subtracting all the voodo and whether you want the sound accurate, or if you like colored, its funny but I will tell you this, a Merridian is like being 10 rows back, and sounds nice, but have found the Older Wadias to be superior as it is very full and you are like in the 2nd row... extremly dynamic and bass that will punch you thru the backwall, but this may not be desired, I love it, I like the juice and I use the Wadia on Horns... Beyond that Krell does not turn me on at all, very anylitical in comparison and so is Mark levinson to some extent but better. This is my experiance so don't kill me for it.. Absolutly agree that the 16 Bit machines far outshine most of the 24 bit machines in natural musicallity overall, why ?? who knows, maybe because the KISS theory comes to play(keep it simple stupid, I am a CD I understand one language, but you can throw a machine at me that can speak chinese too and it will not make a difference) again Just my experiance... Now the Upfront sound may be in-part to the fact WADIA uses a 4volt output even on the single ended which is I believe the pro audio standard vs. the 2volt home audio standard, so of course this will give a stronger volume at double the output, but most Balanced output machines put 4 volt out as well I think not just Wadia so this may not apply if you are using Balanced connections. Merridian I believe is a standard 2volt out at the single end jacks so this could be different results in the end from the gain in your pre-amp. Sorry for so much on this but in the end my vote is Wadia, and they are truly much harder to come by in the price you are looking for, but you will find many merridians for sale all the time and are quite a bit cheper in general, so maybe that means something, no offense to the merridian owners they are good machines.