Oversampling vs. Upsampling

I am interested in opinions on digital filtering because iam looking to purchase a nice CDP. I rather like Simaudio's philosophy on oversampling. Read on simaudio.com
gy4
Emile, thank you for the link to the dcs sales tutorial...I think this document proves the point regarding marketing hype. I particularly like the end of the summary.
Everybody else is still in the dark ages, using Fourier Transforms in a feeble attempt to understand digital. dCS uses wavelets." Smile smugly (as if you knew what you were talking about), and get back to the demonstration as quickly as possible! :-)

The key phrase is "get back to the demonstration as quickly as possible". This article was NOT intended to illuminate the subject (any of it). It is simply a marketing guideline to help salespeople to baffle the customer with bs.
Thanks for the input. I finished reading this article recently at International Audio/Video Review (http://www.iar-80.com/page25.html) and was wondering how accurate his information is? It was written in a little less technical language that allowed me to understand CDP better (although not entirely on the first read). My background in digital electronics helped me somewhat.
Germanboxers
As I wrote, the links are proposals among others for attempting to give simple definition to both "technologies" : OVER- & UP- sampling.

Simaudio staff, for instance, has also another point of view : http://www.simaudio.com/pdf/Upsampling.pdf

Interpolating the sample data is a trick or tool among others, to get back to analog domain, as you mentioned.
But it's also a mistake to underrate digital signal processing, these involved technics aren't specific to our hobby : listening to music ...

I do own a dCS972/954 combo, and it works great, amha.
I've also listened for two weeks to a non-over/up sampling product : the Zanden DAC.
And, well, in a perfect world, I would like to be able to afford to buy one ;-)

The ARC CD3 is also a great sounding machine !

Happy listening, Emile