Looking for DAC suggestions

Hi All,

I'd like to update the quality of my digital side. I want to use the digital output from my NAD 502 and run it to a DAC, but am not sure what a good match for my system would be.
Pre: Sonic Frontiers SFL-2
Amp: Bryston 3BST (I sometimes use up my old Sonic Frontiers SFS-80 (no bi-amping))
Speakers: B&W 805 Nautilus

Any suggestions for $2000-$2500?

Thanks,
Foo
foohead_tgh6c81
Save some $ and get what I think is the best thing going right now:

the RAKK dac from Kevin Carter at K and K audio. K and K audio site

I had a Trivista 21 on hand to compare with, and the RAKK is better. (I have the passive version of RAKK with Tent Labs clock module.) It's not much more than the dAck unit (maybe less, depending on options), and easily far more capable in terms of performance and various options.

Filterless and minimalist dacs like dAck and shigaraki just don't have the quality of sound. Sure, they are simple but the price is paid in resolution and top end extension. It's just not there. (there is no free lunch. Yes, I have had some of these units in my own system for auditioning).

the RAKk on the otherhand is well thought out, comprehensive in its abilities, has many good options (tent labs clock module, active tube output stage, passive transformer-coupled output option, tube-regulated power supply option, etc.) and can also handle upsample/resampling and different frequencies/sampling rates.

anyone thinking about a DAC should look into the RAKK, IMHO. I have yet to compare it to my SCD1 but will do so soon.

-Ed
I just re-auditioned a Benchmark and still liked it. I will be buying one in the near future. They are hard to beat for the money. jallen
Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like perhapse my initial idea of using my NAD as a transport is not the best idea. So would it be better to go the dac/transport route or new cd player route? Sorry for all the questions, I'm really more of a phono guy...

Thanks,
Foo
try finding a used Audio Note DAC; you will not be disappointed. Preferably a 2.1 or better.
You won't know your dac until you have a decent transport. I have a Scott Nixon TubeDac. Even though non-oversampling dacs are less susceptible to jitter, transport quality makes a very large difference. My system sounded very smooth and musical when I was using my Cary 303 as a transport, but somewhat brittle, unbalanced and boomy using a Tosh dvd player as a transport.