Is DVD-A still-born?

Do Audiogon members think DVD-A has been too slow getting off the ground?,a respected journalist in the UK thinks it already dead.
SACD has the lead although many of us are holding off the new formats at the moment.
My fear is that the confusion surrounding the new formats in general may limit their success and our ability to buy the new generation of digital recordings.
It takes time for new formats to be introduced but in the meantime my CD collection grows and grows........

Ben
justicels
If Sony would put DVD-A Audio in this machine.They would dominate the market.This would be good for average joe software would be available.You can still play you CD's and everything else.
Hey if you have 25K invested in Music,you dont want to have to replace it,would be nice to take full advantage.
The High-End guys could then give Phile's 2/5/10 K multi format machine.
I spent 1k on a Viynl rig.It saved me a pile of money.It would have cost me 6/8K to replace the music I had in Viynl only.
I have to much invested in CD to have to replace.A machine that could do all would benifit everyone who does not have unlimited funds to replace software.
I agree with most of what's been said,sensible comments one and all.
I do feel however my main point is being missed in that already a lot of homes have bought DVD players-why are people going to replace these machines?
The average Joe doesn't want to change machines usually any less than about every 5 years and he ain't going to be too bothered about improved audio-he'll be quite happy with what he's got.
If they don't then the software is mainly redundant,if the record companies don't get the sales of a new format then they ain't going to push it.
It's a Catch-22 situation.
It's early days but it all looks too fragmented for even the genuine enthuasists like ourselves and far too confusing for Joe Public.

Ben
The bottom line.... Neither format will survive, no matter how good they sound, if they don't cost the same as a regular CD in the stupid mall! Most people don't care. It's that simple.
Sony doesn't have DVD-A because they don't want to pay royalties. They want other people to pay them royalties for SACD. The DVD-A supporters want to see SACD go away so they get more money. It's simple as that. They don't care what format sounds better as long as their registers are ringing.

Most people do not even know about DVD-A or SACD nor do they care. A lot of the people that have heard about DVD-A do not know that their regular DVD players will not play DVD-A. What will probably happen is DVD-A & SACD will go the way of the HDCD, it'll be packed on to the entry level DVD players without the mass population ever noticing. I'm willing to bet that conservatively estimating that over 60% of VCR owners do not know how to record in EP let alone that EP recording exists, that is how knowledgable the consumer public is. What we have here ladies and gentlemen is a format war again, a corporate battle similar to Coke and Pepsi. I'm curious to know where Djroberts live to actually find DVD-A or SACD in the mall. Enough ranting.

Personally I prefer the SACD. Most of the Sony releases on SACD are remastered from original analog masters but if you ever had a chance to hear a recording done on a SACD master on a higher end system, it is a truly hair raising expirence. There are a few copies of them floating around. To me, DVD-A just sounds flat to me, like it was a whole bunch of unnatural, compressed signals, hey wait, that's just what DVD-A is.
I agree that SACD and DVD-A need software.

But I remember when CD came out. Most CDs cost about $17-$20 at a time that records cost about half that price. CD's cost at least $30-$40 in today's dollars.

Using the logic that consumers only buy software that costs the same oa the old technology leads to the conclusion that CD should have failed.

High Definiton sound will grow in popularity. I can't see a third format overtaking SACD or DVD-A. Like DD and DTS, I see both DVD-A and SACD surviving.