How to reduce the friction in the bearing

I have an Oracle Delphi Mark II turntable. Brand new. Just setting it up. The bearing is too tight. Ran the platter for a couple of days using a stronger motor to wear it in. Worked to some extent, but not enough.
Should I let the turntable run for say a couple of hundred hours to burn in?
Anything else I can do. I have not tried sandpaper, it seems a little on the desperate side.
Appreciate your help.
dcaudio
Hi there,

First off, a Mark II brand new? Seems odd since Oracle has been shipping Mark V's for some time now. In any event..maybe this is an obvious question, but have you used the syringe to load oil into the well before you inserted the platter? Cheers, Jeff
I bought it new in 1986 from Oracle. However, as I tried to set it up in 1991 first time, the motor broke in the first 10 hours. Oracle refused to service under warranty. Back in the box. Just got an origin live motor. Now the bearing seems tight. Are you saying to use a medical syringe to insert the oil. Have not heard before. Where would I get a hold of such a syringe? Thanks in advance.

If your 'table has been sitting around that long then you may want to spend the $150 and buy Oracle's maintenance kit they sell. You can order this from your Oracle retailer or from Oracle's website. Included in the kit is a medical syringle pre-loaded with oil that must be put into the bearing well before the platter is installed.

If you would prefer not to go that route you can carefully add some bearing oil into the 'table, many folks use 3-in-1 oil for this purpose. It'll take about 5cc's to fill up.

Good luck, Jeff
I think these questions should be directed to Oracle. They no best what to do for your problem. Do not use sandpaper on your bearing that will be sure to involve expensive repairs. As I recall, their should be a small container of oil that you can use for lubrication, pull the platter and add a few drops, then reintall the platter. If you don't have the oil, contact Oracle!
The Delphi II only required light machine oil. I read that in the Maintenance kits they started to recommend more oil (1-2cc) http://www.oracle-audio.com/maintenancekit.html

Try taking the platter off and place upside down on a pizza box with a hole in the centre. Undo the screws that hold the bearing housing and remove. Clean the bearing housing with alcohol and wipe the platter bearing with alcohol.

Apply some light machine oil to the platter bearing and spindle and fit the bearing housing onto the upside down platter spindle. Give it a spin. If the bearing housing spins freely then voila...problem solved.

Let me know what happens. You can email me directly for more info.