Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Gary, thanks for your reply and understanding. But again prior to my postings I was never informed that the DSD DAC I had was a prototype. If I had been informed of that I would have not even bothered to try it, either at the Club meeting or anywhere else. What would be the point. And I sure as hell would have mentioned it on my postings if I had known it was a prototype.

Yes, you did mention that it had base caps and that the better caps would sound better but this was after the meeting not before. There was no mention that it was a prototype and we discussed that maybe it had an issue and you would check on it. I even dropped it off at your repair center for you. I said I would still like an opportunity if you could find one with what I needed for my system (PCM/DSD/preamp/Balanced). I never heard back from you. THIS is the FIRST time I am hearing all this. And it EXPLAINS a lot, possible, I hope. I would have NEVER wrote about what I had heard if I was TOLD it was a PROTOTYPE. What would be the point. The reason for you sending your DAC was the issue about the lack of a preamp section. That was the mix up.

Maybe you thought you mentioned it, but no you did not. Remember you were very busy because of CES so you might have planed to mention it but never got to me about it.

Lets just agree that there was miscommunication and leave it like that.

But I must add to that the EMM LABS was an older model I have since been informed.

I will have an opportunity to hear a Lampi against a current Meitner sometime soon. So the Lampi will have a chance to redeem its self in my ears. And I have high hopes for it seeing NOW I know the other one was a prototype.

Al,

No hard feelings, man. Clearly a two-way misunderstanding. Yes, both the first DAC you enjoyed at Father Richard's home AND the one you borrowed were prototypes (and the one Bruce Brown evaluated for that matter).

Things have only gotten better since :) As for the caps they weren't ever stock but a failed experiment for technical rather than sonic testing.

Matt,

No problem, man. I just wanted to clear that up. Keep on rocking with your Big 6, its a fantastic DAC.

Peace to all,

Fred
05-28-14: Audioengr
Shaw - I have not heard the new Directstream, but I have heard the Vivaldi in two different rooms at RMAF. The Overdrive beats it IMO. The Analog DAC was compared in the latest Overdrive review. The Overdrive beat it according to the reviewer. I have heard the Wavelength, Berkeley, Ayre, Chord Qute, and Bryston. Overdrive beats all of these. My roommate used the Lampi7 in his room in Chicago Axpona. He says the Overdrive beats it too. I have not heard the top of line Resonessence or the Bricasti yet.
Audioengr, Bravo!