3K to 4K Phono Pre-Amp

Background: I am trying to upgrade to my ultimate analog set-up. I think the first step should be an new Phono pre-amp capable of supporting high-end MC eventually. I have read the controversy of step-up vs new phono preamp, but I am leaning to the new phono preamp. I have a Cary SLP-98P and love it.

Question: In the $3K to $4K range, what is the best match to a Cary AMP/Pre-AMP/Horn system that would provide good versatility as I later upgrade my cartridge and TT. I have read about the Aesthetic Rhea, AcousTech PhD, and several others but I simply don't have the experience or access to this equipment to help decide.

Cartridges that I may eventually purchase include Koetsu, Shelter, Transfiguration, or comparable. It depends on the tonearm I end up with.

Thank You
cardiackid
VeryBigAmp, I am curious. You say you are quite familiar with all of the above mentioned stages. Are you saying you have personally auditioned all of them?

jh
Hagtech,

certainly, although I never had you’re your phonostage. (This is why I said “majority” but not the “all”).

Instead of asking me the questions that have the obvious answers (I do not thinks anyone hear me taking about something that I have no familiarity) it would be nice if you (as a designer) would explain to me how came that we today, after so many years of “ our progress”, have completely screwed-up our analog culture. He have NO SERIOUSLY PERFORMING contemporary TT, no good modern arms, not good contemporary magnetics for out MC stages, no good contemporary vinyl pressing…. and yes, no good park of the currently manufactured phonostages. Unfortunately looking at the variety of contemporary elements in the today’s system the phonocorrectors are the MOST under-performing elements in a chain of reproduction.

Rgs,
Romy the Cat
BTW, to add to the what I said: I never pursued you phonocorrector because it has 2 more tube/stages that I feel is necessary for a “correct“ MM corrector.

Rgs,
The Cat
Romy,

Thank you for your answer. It's a very bold statement that there are no good phono stages being made today. Same with turntables, arms, and magnetics.

As a designer, I'd be happy to explain why our analog culture is screwed up and that products have digressed over time - if I actually believed it. And I don't. So we differ on opinion here.

Perhaps you could suggest a few examples of vintage products that are better than anything sold today?

jh
Hi Romy, you should try the local guy I find in Paris. He will make you a passive step-up for around Euro 200 that will raise all the hairs on the cat's back, he also makes a tube phono stage which is terribly simple, very cheap and won't confuse the Prelude to Lohnegrin with Gorecki.

RonyW