Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
4orreal, I think the Phasure tends to get excluded due to its cumbersome setup requirements. Also, did you see the recent computer audiophile shootout. It was bested by the Killer dac and PBD depending on the listener....

Hifial, I thought you were a Phasure convert. Is it Meitner now? Bruce Brown re-reviewed a current DSD Lampi with Duelund caps (versus the cheap Russians that were in the original unit), and he said its the best DSD he has heard. He has had both the Meitner and Phasure in-house.
Hi Charles and JaFox, my long break-in opinions are based on a break-in tracking spreadsheet correlated with a dated break-in log that I kept during listening sessions throughout the process... I largely applied the same test track that I tend to report on for published articles. As pointed out, memory of past events by itself is unreliable.

Between the 450 and 800 hours mark, the last remenents of treble peakiness and transient stresses in Aeris disappeared, while harmonic coherence, extension, imaging/staging, and overall musicality continue to grow.

G.
Agear,

As a point of clarification, Al's experience was with a very early prototype of the DSD DAC. This was not supposed to be demoed by Al for anyone and I informed him this was NOT the commercial DAC or even as recent as the revision Bruce had heard, but it was all I had available.

I loaned Al my own personal Big 5 DSD for him to evaluate and show to his friends and fellow club members, but he never even took it out of the box in the weeks he held on to it.

I am actually a bit upset to see his posts...
I'm sorry guys. I think I would be doing everyone (and myself) an injustice by rushing the reviews. I have spent a significant amount of both time and money to acquire these units. I want to do it right. I may not wait 800 hours Guido, but I think a good 3-4 weeks of constant zero's and one's is prudent to give each unit a fighting chance.

I may lose a few readers to the time delay, but those who want to know will follow along. I actually think we have developed a great group here. I, for one, am enjoying the ride.
Update:

My DirectStream is delayed. They are waiting for displays. Sigh.

They are expecting it to ship NEXT Monday (6/9). Maybe this Friday.

I asked the representative if they would be willing to keep it there and burn it in for 2 weeks, 24/7 through the USB port. To my surprise, she said she would. Then I have 30 days from the time I get it (with 336 hours already on it).

So my new arrival date is around Mon to Wed (6/23-6/25). I will be able to give it a decent listen upon arrival though, which is nice.

I may even have her keep it 3 weeks, at which time my Aeris will also be done so I'll be able to directly compare them.